Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Am I being suspicious?

(8 Posts)
prettypurpledaisy Mon 26-Sep-11 20:31:42

I recently sold a dance costume on ebay, not very expensive £100. The winning bidder has no feedback rating, I specified paypal as the method of payment but had a very odd email today asking for my address and name so she could send a postal order.
There have been a number of dance costume scams recently (on dance.net) which also involve ebay so am I right to be suspicious or should I send my details?

fergoose Mon 26-Sep-11 20:47:36

yes I think you are

Accept the postal order and cash or bank it before sending the item - no risk of chargebacks and no paypal fees

Just make sure you send the item courier/special delivery for adequate insurance

prettypurpledaisy Mon 26-Sep-11 20:50:45

Thanks fergoose I suppose I have nothing to lose by sending my details and will not send costume until I have the money cleared in my account.
I suppose I am uncomfortable as she has no feedback score but everyone has to start somewhere.

fergoose Mon 26-Sep-11 20:53:29

yes I agree - you could ask for bank transfer instead - but as long as the postal order has cleared you are perfectly safe to accept it. As a buyer it is very risky as no protection if the transaction goes wrong.

LikeACandleButNotQuite Mon 26-Sep-11 20:54:54

A friend is in the middle of investiations into an Irish woman who as been scamming dress sellers all ove the UK.

Do not gve your details. Ask her to use PayPal. OR ask her to send a cheque, if allowed, with the dress being posted once it's cleared

prettypurpledaisy Mon 26-Sep-11 21:05:40

That is why I am a little hesitant to be honest, there are many costume scams around. I have sent message to say I did state paypal in my description and would prefer that method. Although I am not sure what benefit she would get from having my address and name but something doesn't ring true.
Hate being suspicious not like me at all.

fergoose Mon 26-Sep-11 21:22:17

i don't understand how she would scam you if she knows your address

she can get your address from eBay anyway by completing checkout? You are perfectly safe accepting postal order, just cash it first and then send the item with adequate insurance and a signature

mygirllollipop Tue 27-Sep-11 20:20:59

Postal orders are safer than cheques I think.
With a postal order the buyer has given the money to the post office and can only claim it back after so long if it hasn't already been claimed (by you, the seller). You only send the items after you have cashed the postal order (at the post office if it is uncrossed, or at your bank if it is a crossed postal order).
It costs about £20 to cancel a cheque, which can be done up to 6 months later. The money would then come out of your bank account and you would have probably posted the item by then!
I'm not in the know with this industry but I can't think of a way to scam someone by knowing their address. If they have won your item/s, they can ask eBay for your details and eBay would hand them over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now