Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

buyer wants me to ship to italy. i only do uk postage. grr

(17 Posts)
CantSleepWontSleep Sat 24-Sep-11 15:17:27

so i've emailed and said that she should have checked first and that i'll be offering it to the next highest bidder.
Before i do that, I am allowed aren't I?
Italy buyer won't be able to give me bad feedback for it will they?

fergoose Sat 24-Sep-11 17:24:47

don't do it yet

do a non paying bidder report on day 4, close on day 7 - then you can offer to underbidder

the non paying buyer will then get a strike and won't be able to leave feedback

you also must change your settings to block international bidders - saying uk only in the auction is not sufficient.

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 24-Sep-11 20:21:29

Is that a generic setting on my account, or a setting on each auction? I've never noticed it on the auction page.

If I do send it to her (worried about waiting a week in case the next bidder doesn't want it then) then is there a postage option that covers me should she claim that it hasn't turned up?

And thank you for your help smile

FirmBottom Sat 24-Sep-11 20:25:13

we run a small e-bay buisiness, and mail to Italy is notorious for going missing. If you send it, make sure you send it recorded and charge for postage.

fergoose Sat 24-Sep-11 20:41:19

no you need to change your buyer requirement settings to stop all international bidders

Have you sent the buyer an invoice for the correct postage amount?

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 24-Sep-11 20:54:37

I haven't sent an invoice for the correct postage yet, as I don't know what the correct postage is! But I have just messaged her and said that I will work it out.

Mspontipine Sun 25-Sep-11 01:02:43

I haven't had any problems (yet grin ) posting to Italy. What value is your item? If you get proof of posting it's covered like UK items (up to £42 is it??) Why eliminate all those potential customers???

higgle Sun 25-Sep-11 16:44:25

Why do you not ship abroad? surely all you want is to get the best price, I've sent stuff all over the world and never had a problem.

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 25-Sep-11 19:42:14

It's only a few quid. I only don't ship abroad because I didn't think that a proof of posting covered me, and I was worried that people would claim that it hadn't arrived and get a paypal refund and I'd be out of pocket. Does a standard proof of posting really cover me just like in the UK?

fergoose Sun 25-Sep-11 20:04:10

proof of postage never covers you against a claim, either in the UK or abroad - you need a signature to prove delivery otherwise the buyer can claim not received and will always get a refund.

sarahtigh Sun 25-Sep-11 20:57:25

i post most places in world never had a problem, even if only sells for little the only things I don't sell abroad are things too big or too heavy for airmail

if a low value item under 10 POUNDS only send recorded delivery when more if you did not block international bidders and she wants to pay i do not think you can raise non paying action, may be fergoose could tell us if she has bid and willing to pay if OP does not send could she get non performing seller strike?

proof of posting allows you to claim off royal mail for loss, you have to refund on ebay and then claim from royal mail

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 25-Sep-11 21:18:18

yy appreciate that buyer would get refund fergoose, but I'd be able to claim from Royal Mail in UK if I had proof of postage.

sarahtigh - I got v confused looking at international recorded delivery online, so I'm going to have to go to post office just to ask about it, which is somewhat annoying, as will cost me in fuel just for that.

FrauLindor Sun 25-Sep-11 21:20:47

I live abroad and often buy from ebay.uk because the item I want is just not available here.

Email her and ask about postage - tell her the price for normal and for registered delivery and let her choose which she wants to pay.

fergoose Sun 25-Sep-11 21:31:07

cantsleep you just need to enter the weight into the royal mail price finder to work out how much it costs.

AgonyBeetle Tue 27-Sep-11 08:43:02

You can avoid this scenario by blocking bidders from countries you don't ship to. Then anyone who wants to bid has to email you first, and if they sound like they're not complete pisstakers you can inform them of the extra postage costs and add them to a list of specific buyers who are exempted from your buyer requirement criteria.

IT's a bit fiddly to do, but not difficult. I have a step-by-step How To guide somewhere, if you're interested.

smile

gettingalifenow Tue 27-Sep-11 08:48:19

Why is shipping to Italy a problem? I just don't see it...

fergoose Tue 27-Sep-11 09:27:53

I have heard Italy postage service is very hit and miss and many items never arrive, but am not sure how true this is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now