Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How do you handle international postage in your listings?

(4 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Thu 22-Sep-11 00:11:25

I ship worldwide and pay the 5p for US/Canada listing. Postage-wise, I give a flat UK price and a flat international rate - I weigh the item then look up the price to post to Europe on Royal Mail's website as international costs seem to be hugely complicated and I've been out of pocket before by underestimating. I then put in my listing, in bold text, that the international rate given only covers Europe and postage to US/Canada/Australia etc will be more.

Generally this works okay, but I've had three auctions finish last weekend where Canadian/Australian buyers have just paid the international rate and I've then had to message them to ask for more to cover air mail (but offer to post surface mail for the rate they've paid) which I don't like doing as (1) I am British so hate mentioning money at all wink and (2) I'm always worried they're going to kick off, though so far everyone has been fine with it.

The only other alternatives seem to be either putting a higher rate and ripping off European buyers or listing all the different rates separately, which would take forever and wouldn't be worth it as I don't sell that much stuff to longhaul buyers - though enough to make me not want to stop shipping worldwide.

Is there an easier way of doing this that I've missed?

Honeydragon Thu 22-Sep-11 00:13:48

I put a uk mainland rate and ask anyone else to contact me for a quote. I then add them as a preferred seller so they can bid.

CaptainNancy Thu 22-Sep-11 10:07:33

I would never offer a flat international rate! Postage to Belgium for example is about the same as UK, but to Australia... well grin

I put in a list of places I ship to (in the listing, you can use tick boxes) and then specify for international bidders to contact for postage rate before bidding. Only ever had 1 problem, and that was a buyer that bid on several auctions, but couldn't understand why postage for 8 items would be more than for 1 hmm

sixlostmonkeys Thu 22-Sep-11 12:33:49

International postage > flat > post to > choose custome location

then

fill the bits in twice one for Europe and one for Australia, US, Canada etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now