Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer rather cheekily asking to delay payment: WWYD?

(9 Posts)
AgonyBeetle Sun 18-Sep-11 21:41:56

Buyer has just won item and sent me an email asking if it's okay to delay payment till the end of the month. hmm

Not sure what to do, tbh - obv I could say yes and wait, but otoh it's quite a lot of money and there were lots of other bidders for the item.

Anyone had this before, and what did you do?

thisisyesterday Sun 18-Sep-11 21:43:18

hmm i don't think i would.
if they then decide not to pay would that make it too late to file a non-paying bidder complaint? if so you'd then be out of pocket

so i would say sorry, but no

AgonyBeetle Sun 18-Sep-11 21:49:29

Hmm, that's my instinct too -- it seems a bit cheeky to bid for something and then say you can't pay for it. hmm

So what would you say in the email, and would I have to cancel the bid or something? I think you can't file a nonpaying bidder strike until 7 days after the auction end, and the date she's proposing would be just within that time. She does have 100% positive feedback, all commenting on her quick payment, ironically.

[dilemma]

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 21:50:51

file on day 4, close on day 7 to get your fees back and then relist or offer to the underbidder.

You would be able to open a case at the end of the month still but I think waiting 2 weeks is taking the mick to be honest - they should have asked before bidding.

AgonyBeetle Sun 18-Sep-11 21:57:21

What do you think I should say in the email? Obviously I'll resist the urge to say, "No you can't, you cheeky fecker", but what should I say instead? And do I just make a second chance offer to the next highest bidder, or what?

Can she leave me bad feedback if I turn her down?

Sorry for all the Qs, but I have over 300 positive feedback, and have never encountered anything like this before. hmm

Tortoise Sun 18-Sep-11 22:00:52

Say you can't wait for payment and ask if they will mutually agree to cancel transaction. That way you don't have to wait until you can open a case against them.
Of course only works if they agree!

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 22:08:21

you have to open a non paying case then close it on day 7, or do a mutual cancellation

only when either are complete can you relist and offer to the underbidder

if you relist or do second chance too early you risk having 2 purchasers and only 1 item

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 22:08:56

oh and if you do a non paying bidder and they don't respond, they cannot leave you feedback at all.

AgonyBeetle Sun 18-Sep-11 22:16:16

Hmm, looking at the calendar, the date she's proposing to pay is 26th Sept, so only just outside the 7 day limit. But still, it's annoying because if she then doesn't pay, I'll miss the payday rush. And it's a seasonal item too. angry

I'm dithering now. But still inclined to say no, and cross that she asked. A couple of days delay is fair enough, but if you haven't got the cash, then don't ruddy well bid. [grr]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now