Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ethical dilemma - listing bundles of clothes when some were gifted to us.

(9 Posts)
sneakybeak Sun 18-Sep-11 20:40:39

Just wanted to hear others thoughts: We have been given many clothes for the DC for which we are really grateful. I've always checked whether they're wanted back (they never are), and then passed them on to others.

Times are hard for us, and I'm considering bundling up clothes to sell on Ebay. What about the stuff we never paid for. Is it OK to sell that on? Or should I separate it out and just sell what we paid for?

thisisyesterday Sun 18-Sep-11 20:43:44

i would ask the people who gave it to you whether they want it back or if it's ok to pass it on. if they say they don't want it then go ahead and sell it... it's yours!

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 18-Sep-11 20:44:23

If you are certain that the gifted items are not wanted back

and

times really are hard

then yes, sell them on.

I am sure you will pass on lots of stuff to other people when your fortunes pick up a bit smile.

SinicalSal Sun 18-Sep-11 20:45:49

Sell them I'd say.
they're yours now, to give away, to get poo'd on, whatever. It's not like you asked for them, or are pleading poverty to get them for profit.

Fiolondon Sun 18-Sep-11 20:51:20

I'm thinking about doing the same. I have passed some things on to friends but not other things and I might pass on less now as I'm saving to move house. I won't feel bad about selling things that were given to me but I am not sure whether clothes bundles actually sell for much compared to what they would cost new or even sell for in charity shops. My first try out saw a box of 20 vests/sleepsuits go for 99p as the £7 postage made it less good value. On the other hand I bought a bundle for my son which has dressed him for 18 months for £10 plus £10 postage so I can't complain! So although while I have a huge stack of stuff that we have finished with, it has made me wonder whether it is worth selling clothes and maybe I would be better buying their gear off ebay to save money (rather than earn by selling) then just hand it to friends or the charity shop when we are done. I'll be watching this thread with interest tho!

sneakybeak Sun 18-Sep-11 20:54:16

Thanks - definitely given with good grace, and definitely not wanted back. I've always been a 'passer on', but I was looking at some of the stuff today just thinking it's too good not to try and Ebay (I mean ALL of it, not just gifted items).

During the sort out I actually put aside some books we were given(which look brand new), together with some bookstart books which will be used for the DCs xmas gifts blush. Things are lean here!

sneakybeak Sun 18-Sep-11 20:57:19

Fio - I know what you mean about bundles not making much money. I have a John Lewis snow suit, and a timberland coat though, that I feel are just too good not to try and sell. Like you, I bought an excellent maternity bundle that saw me through 2 pregnancies (and many years month afterwards), so I know how useful it can be.

Tryharder Mon 19-Sep-11 21:29:23

Bundles are funny things. I once sold a massive bundle of boys clothes which included Catimini, Monsoon etc for 99p and to add insult to injury, had undercharged on postage. I have also sold bundles of serviceable supermarket/Primark baby clothes for probably the same amount as you could have bought them new! 'Tis strange....

octopusinabox Tue 20-Sep-11 14:12:48

I wouldn't. You've been fortunate to have had use of them and should now pass them on free to someone else who might be struggling. I've always tried to separate anything that was given to me and have either passed it on to someone I know or given to charity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now