Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer complaining coat is wrong size

(23 Posts)
PrivateBenjamin Thu 15-Sep-11 12:05:08

Hello All

I recently sold a coat on ebay. it was a big parka type thing (think Liam Gallagher style - but for women) labelled as a size 10. I thought it was quite a loose fit, but i guess that's the style with parkas. I'm a size 10 and have worn it a good few times, it was fine and didn't look stupid. It has straps etc to pull it tighter in places and make it a more shapely.

Anyway, so it was sold for 99p + £4 P & P (P & P actually came to £4.98 so, including ebay and paypal fees i lost money selling this coat, but i suppose you live and learn!). The (male) buyer has sent an 'item is not as described' message today saying that he tried the coat on and it doesn't fit him, it's too big. He has had a size 14 woman try the coat on and it is too big for them, he believes it to be a size 18, which is completely ridiculous. He didn't ask any questions i.e for a refund or return, and also put a kiss at the end of his message, which i thought was a bit weird.

What do i do? The coat was clearly labelled by the manufacturer as a size 10, i don't take my own measurements and then guess a size based on them to put in the ebay auction, i just listed according to the label.

I have posted here before under a different alias and received great advice so i was hoping you could advise me again.

Byeckerslike Thu 15-Sep-11 12:08:40

Did you take photos of the label? Just send one back saying the label states size 10, you stated that in the listing and what would he like to do.
For 99p i would have just given it to a charity shop for goodness sake... Him, not you!

fergoose Thu 15-Sep-11 12:25:48

did you put the measurements in the listing?

You could argue you are right, but if the buyer goes to eBay and opens a case you will have to refund.

Ignore the male bit - eBay account in man's name is probably the partner purchasing, so am sure it was bought for a woman. Not that it makes a difference anyway to be honest.

Ask them to return it for a refund if they are not happy.

PrivateBenjamin Thu 15-Sep-11 12:57:01

Thank you both for your replies. No, i didn't put the measurements in the listing, or take a picture of the label. I am foolish.

How will the refund work? Will i have to refund P & P both ways? Would i write something like:

"I'm sorry you're not happy with the coat. The label was marked as a size 10, so that is what i listed it as. As a gesture of goodwill I can refund the end auction price (99p) and you can keep the coat, or you can return it for a full refund of the auction price and original P & P charges"

Would that be ok? I don't want to be rude or unfair to him, but i don't want to end up paying £10 for the return of a 99p coat that i didn't even want anymore!

Byeckerslike Thu 15-Sep-11 13:00:08

Thats perfect

fergoose Thu 15-Sep-11 13:06:17

I think you should refund them in full, regardless of whether they keep the coat.

If you want them to send it back you should offer to pay return postage costs too. If you just refund 99p they are still down on the postage costs for an item they can't use.

nickschick Thu 15-Sep-11 13:13:09

Refund them???

Why? the label states size 10,we all know size 10 varies from shop to shop if the buyer was that 'picky' over exact sizing she should have requested accurate measurements.

Ive sold loads of stuff on ebay and will quite often say label says xx size I however think its larger/smaller.

fergoose Thu 15-Sep-11 13:19:41

Well maybe the measurements should have been supplied then or it should have been listed as a large size 10, not just a size 10 which a buyer would assume is an accurate size.

This is the trouble with clothing isn't it, sizes differ from shop to shop and if this item was a large size 10 it should have been listed as such with the measurements to stop this type of complaint.

I think clothing sellers should always put measurements on a listing, and not just rely on the label to be accurate.

HenriettaFarthingay Thu 15-Sep-11 13:51:41

I don't think you have to refund return postage. And I am pretty sure you don't really have to refund original postage if you've stated in your listing that you won't.

I once had a woman buy a pair of cowboy boots (daughter have bought them in a charity shop for four quid for Hallowe'en costume) and had given all sorts of measurements for them. British size/American size/ length of sole, leg,, etc. Woman said they didn't fit her husband, so she wanted to return them. As they'd had a lot of bids - in fact quite a bidding war towards the end, and she paid £35 or so - I suggested she re-list them, as she would make her money back. The daft woman wanted to send them back anyway, so she was out both postages (total of around £11 as they were pretty heavy) all just to make a point.

Sold them a couple of months later for more, so I was on a winner with this one.

Sorry not much help, but if the buyer isn't suggesting they want to return the coat I would just email apologies and state that you went by the size on the label.

Byeckerslike Thu 15-Sep-11 13:55:28

Fergoose, i think you are being generous, the op clearly stated a size 10 and the buyer is saying its an 18, quite a discrepancy... hmm

fergoose Thu 15-Sep-11 13:59:41

well maybe the coat is a large 10 and the buyer is telling the truth?

Without seeing the listing and the item it is impossible for me to know isn't it. But I think the seller should have put the measurements on the listing and not just relied on a label for the size.

If the buyer raises a case with eBay they will get a refund of all of their original payment, not just the 99p, and the seller will get a black mark against them, plus a probable negative feedback.

Byeckerslike Thu 15-Sep-11 14:08:22

That is true, i just think the ops suggestion of making it a 'gesture of goodwill' is not admitting a mistake as clearly there isnt one on her part.
The buyer is being deliberately obtuse imo, they can obviously see the label says 10 so the buyer hasnt lied, or deliberately misled them

PrivateBenjamin Thu 15-Sep-11 14:25:51

Thank you for all your advice.

I do usually take measurements of clothes but i went on a listing spree so didn't want to waste time measuring everything. Lesson learnt on that one!

Byeckerslike is right, i wanted to put 'gesture of goodwill' because i listed it correctly according to the label so i would hope ebay wouldn't rule against me and make me pay a refund on postage both ways. The coat just isn't suitable for that buyer, i haven't done anything misleading. I will send the message i wrote above and let you all know what the outcome is.

dizzyday07 Thu 15-Sep-11 15:46:50

The only measurements I generally include in my listings are length of leg on trousers!

I also state size on label and make of clothes so buyers can make a judgement if the item will fit based on their knowledge of clothes they've had before etc. from that brand. I would supply any if asked though.

It sounds like they didn't like it when it arrived!

PrivateBenjamin Thu 15-Sep-11 16:26:54

UPDATE: i sent him my previous message, and he opted for the refund of the auction end price and to keep the coat, which i provided, and he has left me positive feedback.

Phew! Glad that he didn't want a big argument about measurements and true sizing. Thank you all for taking the time to respond, you are really helpful.

Byeckerslike Thu 15-Sep-11 17:20:24

Glad it is sorted private

happywheezer Thu 15-Sep-11 17:24:27

Jesus, I can't believe how petty people are. It's 99p for a coat! Why don't they put bit back on when it's a free day and sell it then?! They might get more money than what they paid for it!

tamitots Sun 18-Sep-11 16:27:12

Fergoose, you are saying without seeing the listing it is impossable for you to know yet you are still managing to tell the seller she should refund postage costs because she is in the wrong.

I think offering their .99p back and telling them you do not want the coat back is more than fair x

cheesesarnie Sun 18-Sep-11 16:32:42

if i buy something listed in my size which ends up not fitting,its my problem not sellers!thats what you get for not going into shops and trying things on.

bamboostalks Sun 18-Sep-11 16:35:51

All this hassle and zero profit. This is why I gave up on ebay, the appalling graping attitude of so many buyers. Everything goes to charity now, it is not worth the grief.

higgle Mon 19-Sep-11 14:25:44

I always include all the measurements on my clothes when I sell on ebay. If you di this you can then parcel them up ready to go when the auction finishes. I fold and wrap in tissue paper and put them in the mailing bags ready. I then add the sales slips and address detils when the auction is over and post the next morning. If you don't include measurements you just have to dig out the item from wherever it is when the inevitable question is asked.
The major downside to ebaying for me is the parcelling up and posting, so if I get most of this done when listing it is easier at the end.

MirandaWest Mon 19-Sep-11 14:30:01

If I bought a coat that was size 10 for 99p and it didn't fit I would think "Oh well, you win some you lose some" and just cope tbh. I think you have been very fair to the buyer and glad they gave you positive feedback.

fergoose Mon 19-Sep-11 15:08:02

Tamitots - i advised the seller to refund as if the buyer had gone to eBay they would have been forced to refund

Ok item listed as a size 10, but then it was not stated that it was a big size 10. If there were no measurements included, then I would consider the item not as described.

Anyway, I am glad it all worked out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now