Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Does this sound fair?

(5 Posts)
Overtiredmum Tue 13-Sep-11 19:51:01

Bit long-winded sorry, but never had any problem before:

My 6 year old DS asked me to sell some of his Ben 10 figures, so he could get pennies to buy some new Bakugan stuff. 12 figures in total, listed all separately, I stated clearly in the listings if any of the figures did anything, ie. light-up, move etc. All 12 sold - great.

Now one of the buyers has emailled to say that the figure doesn't work, and that before she leaves me negative feedback, can I or my son recall how the figures works. Now I have re-read my listing several times and I describe the item as "XX figure, in excellent condition" and that is it, so I do not state anywhere what the figure is meant to do. For example, some of them you press the button and they light up, or they have items that attach on etc.

Anyway I have said back to her, with my apologies, that I was not intending to mislead, but that the listing is correct to my knowledge, and thus in the condition as listed. I also said that I didn't want negative feedback as I haven't had any thus far, and if she didn't want figure, please send it back and I will refund the amount paid plus original postage. Or, if her son still wants it, I will refund 50% of the amount paid (she paid £3 for it) and she leaves me positive feedback. Since then, my DH worked out how the figure works, so have messaged her again to offer up the information but again stating would be happy to refund.

So I am awaiting her response, but my question is, does that sound fair what I have offered? I feel she is being a little mean threatening negative feedback. Had I listed the item as "figure does this" and then she receives it and it clearly doesn't do as I list, then fair enough. Is there anything else I can suggest to her?

Thanks for listening to me whinge.

fergoose Tue 13-Sep-11 20:17:20

ok - well you will need to accept a return and refund in full, and I think you should pay the return costs also.

Even if you didn't state the item did a certain task, the buyer may have presumed it was working as you didn't state otherwise.

Even if you do everything, either refund in full or pay the buyer half you could still get a negative. You shouldn't really say that you will pay her not to leave you a neg as that could be construed as feedback extortion. In the same vein if the buyer is threatening a neg if you don't do what she wants that is feedback extortion and you can report her for it.

Overtiredmum Tue 13-Sep-11 20:41:27

Thanks Fergoose, never had any probs before, but then never sold anything that wasn't DC's clothes before, so have learnt to stick with what I know.

My intention was not to pay her to leave me a positive - if shes not happy, she's not happy, I'll refund her, but at the same time I feel I listed the item accurately. Have looked for the same item new on Amazon, and even on there, they do not provide a description of what the item is supposed to do, so I don't feel like I have been misleading.

fergoose Tue 13-Sep-11 20:53:10

No I'm not saying you are. I agree just refund and move on.

Overtiredmum Tue 13-Sep-11 20:58:41

Thanks again Fergoose, I'll wait and see what the buyer wants to do and go with it.

And I'll stick to the clothes in future x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now