Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item lost in the post, how much compensation would RM give?

(30 Posts)
TragicallyHip Mon 12-Sep-11 14:03:25

The item cost £5 and I only sent it 2nd class. Is it worth trying to claim? I am so annoyed as this is the 2nd item lost in the last month angry

Going to have send everything recorded now..

twotesttickles Mon 12-Sep-11 21:37:14

Yes do claim - up to £28 I think.

fergoose Mon 12-Sep-11 21:49:51

It is worth claiming for a lost item - up to £46 can be claimed with a certificate of postage.

TragicallyHip Mon 12-Sep-11 23:06:40

I only have a receipt for 2nd class postage as it wasn't recorded. I wouldn't get much for that would I?

fergoose Mon 12-Sep-11 23:15:42

You need to show the value of the item you posted.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 13-Sep-11 18:31:09

How do you show the value of the item posted as I'm in the same boat? I got a receipt for postage from the post office person.

TragicallyHip Tue 13-Sep-11 20:07:21

Thanks fergoose but unsure too of how to show the value of item. Print something from Ebay/Paypal?

fergoose Tue 13-Sep-11 20:12:42

I think you have to provide proof of what the item cost you, not what it sold for. I could be wrong, I've not had to make a claim for a while.

TragicallyHip Tue 13-Sep-11 20:44:13

Oh right I see, I don't have that as it's items I bought years ago.

pickledparsnip Tue 13-Sep-11 20:49:10

I recently had to claim. You just have to provide proof of postage and some eBay stuff along with Paypal transaction details. Explains it all on the form. They don't want to know what you originally paid for it, just what it sold for.

TragicallyHip Tue 13-Sep-11 20:56:50

Oh brilliant pickle thanks. Do you just get a form from the post office?

pickledparsnip Wed 14-Sep-11 00:21:26

Yes you do, just ask them at the counter. Good luck!

TragicallyHip Wed 14-Sep-11 23:26:10

Thanks pickle smile

piprabbit Wed 14-Sep-11 23:33:00

In my experience RM do not pay compensation when they lose something.

They ignore you instead - no matter how high you escalate the problem. They just wait til you give up.

chalat Wed 14-Sep-11 23:42:08

TragicallyHip - go on to the Royal Mail website, you can download the necessary form. I did this recently when a cheque I sent as eBay payment was delayed by a week, lost in the post - and the seller would have preferred Paypal which I don't have, which made it worse as they had to wait. I didn't have a proof of postage as thought sending invoice and cheque first class would have been fine but the delay made me very cross so I complained anyway. Got letter of apology and book of 6 first class stamps as goodwill gesture.

chalat Wed 14-Sep-11 23:46:32

www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/claims-process

TragicallyHip Thu 15-Sep-11 22:29:53

Thanks chalat I will download that smile

SpideySenseTingling Thu 15-Sep-11 22:31:49

"Proof of value" is the printout of the ebay page where it states what your item sold for.

sarahtigh Sat 17-Sep-11 13:56:59

that is if private seller, if you bought the item to sell on (business) you only get what you paid for it not what it sold for

TragicallyHip Sun 18-Sep-11 22:03:28

Oh thanks! I can't see where you mean about the print out.

I'm a private seller

Another question while you're here. If said person took out a claim via Ebay and I did not respond do they take the money off me to refund or do Ebay refund?

I asked buyer to take out a case but wasn't sure if it was best to just refund myself in case of disadvantages to my selling account.

Thanks smile

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 22:10:51

if paypal force the refund then you will get a black mark against you and they refund the buyer from your money in your paypal. If your paypal has no credit it will go into a negative balance and you will have to repay it.

if you refund yourself before a case you won't get a strike.

TragicallyHip Sun 18-Sep-11 22:26:10

Will I get a strike even if I refund when a case has been opened?

What exactly is a black mark/strike?

Thanks smile

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 22:28:09

If you get I think 3 strikes they can restrict your selling account.

TragicallyHip Sun 18-Sep-11 22:31:13

Oh right thanks. I will refund now as it's not worth the strike.

Thanks for the advice fergoose! You are queen of Ebay!

fergoose Sun 18-Sep-11 22:33:20

Haha - am not but thanks anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now