Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer has paid but something's changed and now she isn't responding...do I send it or not?

(20 Posts)
GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 09:30:11

I sold my buggy a week or so ago. The buyer paid but put a note about the receipt/warranty, however I then looked it up on the manufacturer's website and found the warranty isn't transferable.

I replied to let her know this, but haven't had a reply and it's been several days.

I've now managed to get her mobile number from ebay and have texted to ask her if she still wants to proceed...but what if I don't get a reply?

I don't know how important the warranty is to her, and therefore I don't know if I ought to send the buggy anyway, or wait longer to hear back from her.

What would you do?

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 09:36:29

what did her note say about the warranty?

If you are unsure refund her paypal payment with a note saying why you are refunding, and wait for her to get in touch maybe? If you don't hear could you do a second chance offer to underbidder?

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 09:43:24

That's a good idea. I'm just trying to avoid a neg I suppose.

When we negotiated her offer (via the proper counter offer system) she made me the offer I'd suggested, but put a note with it asking if there was a warranty.

I said I thought there was, and accepted her offer at the same time. She took a few days to pay and when she did, sent a note asking me to include the receipt.

I looked at the website T&C and found that my info was wrong, so I sent a message saying I was sorry, I had been misinformed, there was not a transferable warranty and did she still wish to proceed.

That was last Thursday. I've not heard a peep since then.

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 09:45:31

I'm just wondering where she is really! It almost seems like she hasn't got my messages or something, perhaps she's gone away, I don't know.

If I send it, and she changes her mind because there's no warranty, will I then have to pay to get it back? (or risk a negative feedback)

Thankyou by the way, I see this board keeps you very busy smile

thisisyesterday Tue 06-Sep-11 09:45:45

i would contact her saying that you know she wanted the warranty, and as it is not transferrable you presume she no longer wants the item. you'll send a refund in 48 hours unless you hear back from her.

that puts the ball in her court.

thisisyesterday Tue 06-Sep-11 09:46:13

no, if she decides she no longer wants it she would have to pay to send it back

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 09:49:37

If she doesn't want it then you could be expected to pay return costs, and you would already have to refund all her original payment which includes the outward postage, so you would lose out on postage x 2.

I would refund her via paypal via original payment, put a note in with refund explaining why. Tell her if she still does want item to let you know within 7 days, then if you don't hear from her relist. I think that is fair for both of you.

You can also cancel transaction to get final fees back, but look at that bit later on.

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 09:50:56

by the way, has she bid on another pram in the meantime, you can check using goofbay or advanced search on eBay. But if she had done this surely she would be chasing you for a refund of her money.

if you want to PM me her user ID I can look for you?

missmehalia Tue 06-Sep-11 09:56:01

How about ringing eBay Customer Services to check with them? Sounds to me like you're v much trying to do the right thing. I like Thisisyesterday's suggestion for putting responsibility back on her to contact you to let you know what she wants. You could even put in a contact number again for her to contact you so that there can be absolutely no confusion or delay..

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:06:29

thanks, TIY. I could do that. The thing is she might then get uppity that I've refunded her. I feel like I can't win!

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:06:57

Sorry, massively x posts as someone phoned me up...will now read rest of replies!

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 10:10:57

If you do refund and she does still want the pram she can easily re-pay you. I would feel uncomfortable having her money for much longer if she isn't going to buy the item.

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:11:23

oh I see.

Yes I might have a look on advanced search and see if she's been about.

Seems like a genuine and friendly person, just she's disappeared for some reason (maybe she's gone to have her baby or something...)

I did message her last weekend saying, look, I have to pay for some things so if you want a refund please let me know asap, and paypal wouldn't let me pay by bank transfer - it was balance or e-cheque. So I ended up using the balance as my sellers were waiting (only small things and I'd told them I was waiting on a buyer to decide).

So I'll need to transfer money into paypal to refund her, and I don't want to unless she definitely doesn't want it, because it was quite expensive.

oh dear.
Thankyou for all the suggestions. I half wondered if it might be someone on here. Might check the buggy thread to see if she'son it saying ;where is my buggy!

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:12:07

Yes, I do feel uncomfortable, but it's a big deal to transfer it. I wish I'd sent e-cheques for the other things now.

Stupid me.

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:13:04

and she did seem to have decided to have it. I mean she put the question inwith the offer. Then she paid at the same time as the next question, and so on. So I didn't know how much it mattered.

I think I might just send it and suck it up if she changes her mind.

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 10:14:09

Have you actually tried phoning her rather than texting? May be worth a try. She may not have any credit to reply to you?

I would transfer the money now as it takes 4-5 days I think. You can always transfer it back if she doesn't want a refund.

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:19:11

Grand idea...I just did, and she said she'd replied yesterday and wants to go ahead.

<relieved>

There's no sign of her message in my ebay so goodness knows where that went.
Anyway thankyou very much Fergoose and everyone else. You're brill smile

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 10:28:59

excellent - result smile

Make sure you dispatch courier fully insured so you are covered for the full value smile

parcel2go often do an ebay seller discount

GloriaVanderbilt Tue 06-Sep-11 10:58:31

many thanks,

I didn't know about the discount but will have a look next time as I do use them most of the time.

I've used send it now this time, covered up to the full value so should be Ok...I hope!

Thanks again for your advice.

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 11:01:04

You're welcome - I do like a happy ending smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now