Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bloomin Newbies! Am I just being paranoid or are these scams some how?

(7 Posts)
navyblueknickers Mon 05-Sep-11 22:08:52

I've been contacted by two newbies with interesting requests.

I sell a small item by the 100. They have asked for a price for 5000. I don't have this quantity but I'm visiting my supplier, on Wednesday and could probably buy them. So I checked out the person asking and they joined ebay the day they sent me the request. DH thinks this is a scam - he thinks they ask for a smallish item (5000 sounds a lot but they're small).They will probably place another order, then a huge order. They will then claim the money back from paypal and do a runner.

The other is just irritating but I'm getting paranoid. She has asked if I'd take a lower price on a BiN. Cheeky but I think genuine as I've looked at her bidding history and the only other item she bought would match this one.

Why do Newbies feel they can just come in and make weird requests confused They wouldn't walk into M & S and ask for something for less money!

TragicallyHip Tue 06-Sep-11 00:36:09

Maybe they have other accounts? I would just say no if you are unsure. Best to be safe smile

Billmelater Tue 06-Sep-11 01:19:39

I have asked for a lower price on a BiN, and been given it. If I've watched an item relisted again because the price is obviously too high, I'll ask. I've also asked for sellers to drop their postage fees (some are taking the p***) and had that request met, too (again item kept relisting put no one bidding as the P&P was silly).

But I've bought lots off eBay, and have never asked it of a business seller, mostly because they know what their stuff is worth!

Oh, and people do ask for - and get - discounts in high street shops by asking! So don't be too shocked.

Takitezee Tue 06-Sep-11 10:39:58

I'm not sure I understand the first problem so won't comment on that.

On the second, I can't see any problem with asking for a lower buy it now. No, you wouldn't do it in M&S unless there was a problem with the item but ebay isn't M&S. I would more compare it to a market where you would ask for discounts.

I have asked for and had discounts on white goods in large high street shops.

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 10:43:43

As long as you dispatch to registered address with signature you will be covered by seller protection which will stop the buyer being able to claw back their money.

You can add the tracking number to paypal as soon as item is dispatched.

Here you are- read number 11;

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#11.%20Seller%20Protection%20Programme

fergoose Tue 06-Sep-11 10:44:03

https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/marketingweb?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#11.%20Seller%20Protection%20Programme

sorry - I mucked up the link

navyblueknickers Tue 06-Sep-11 14:54:02

Thanks for your replies.

I think I was just venting as I've been plagued with these type of emails from newbies and I was starting to get paranoid!

Before starting my shop I put a lot of craft items on normal listings - most on auction but a few on BIN. Someone emailed me asking if she could buy the majority of the items at a discount, it was someone with a feedback of under 10, so pretty new. I chose to misunderstand the request and assume she was asking how much combined P&P would be (quite a lot as they were heavy!) She ended up buying 1 item which she then complained was broken (brand new and still packaged), left me a neg before contacting me. When I checked her feedback left for others, it was all negs, claiming items were broken or did not arrive!

So I just think I'd had one too many questions yesterday so needed to whinge! I shouldn't I know as we were all new once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now