Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Selling cars on ebay

(8 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Wed 31-Aug-11 21:52:15

We are looking to sell DH's pick up on ebay, have been keeping an eye on ones already selling and we think he should get between £2k and £2500 for it. I think I have got it right that if we put it on at a reserved rpice than ebay takes 1% of reserved and then 10% of sales fee. Do we need this money in our paypal account first or do they bill and we pay? It will be cash on collection. Also how much will a listing fee be?

fergoose Wed 31-Aug-11 21:54:04

not sure on fees but never take paypal for a car,or any collection item, you don't have any seller protection.

ebay will send you an invoice (monthly) with any fees you owe which can be paid by paypal

deposit by bank transfer maybe then cash on collection?

fivegomadindorset Wed 31-Aug-11 21:59:10

Definitely won't do paypal.

Thanks for other information.

Salam Thu 01-Sep-11 06:39:52

I think the listing fee is a one off of £35 for 28 days. I just bought my new car on ebay and the seller told me this. He also said that Ebay won't charge him 10%, it is just the listing fee; otherwise it wouldn't be worth it for people selling their cars there.

Catslikehats Thu 01-Sep-11 06:45:31

I sold my car on ebay. I didn't put a reserve as it was obvious it would make a good price and so at the time I am pretty sure the only fee was £30 ish.

I'm not really sure what the point of a reserve is TBH, unless of course you are over inflating what you believe the value to be.

fivegomadindorset Thu 01-Sep-11 09:28:00

Thank you QOD, definitely not overinflating value, have been watching for months what similar types are going for and these of have an extra 50k miles on the clock and older. The reserve is we can't afford for it to go less than £2k as we still need to put some money in the bank and buy a much smaller runaround car for me to go to work in.

fergoose Thu 01-Sep-11 09:46:48

You could start the auction at £2k then - maybe as a buy it now?

SDTGisAnEvilGenius Thu 01-Sep-11 10:24:13

I will ask dh to come on this thread and answer your questions tonight, fivegomad - he's just sold a car on ebay (and got much more than the scrapper offered him for it too), so hopefully he can help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now