Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Why is seller requesting i cancel purchase when i have paid for item and collected it?

(12 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 29-Aug-11 14:36:57

Is this a way of avoiding fees or something?
I'm not sure i want to cancel although all seems ok with the item.
What should i do?

fergoose Mon 29-Aug-11 14:53:42

refuse the request

they are trying to get their fees back - cheeky so and so.

Tortoise Mon 29-Aug-11 16:21:31

Thanks. Thought that probably was the reason.

katiewins22 Wed 07-Sep-11 17:11:14

Hello - Sold an item on ebay. It was cash on collection only (dining table) and the buyer said they would come this weekend and pay in cash. I have just received an email saying that they have arranged a courier and have paid by paypal. I just checked paypal and have received a payment but I am a bit wary as I think I read somewhere that they can ask paypal for a chargeback? What would you do. I havent replied yet. K

aswellasyou Wed 07-Sep-11 17:18:38

I would tell them that the arrangement was cash on collection only. You would have to package up the item and pay for that packaging, which you haven't charged for. They could, as you say, claim never to receive the item and claim their money back. If you're happy to package it up, I would tell them that you'll refund their payment, send an invoice including the postage and packaging costs, and send it yourself despite not agreeing to this before they won the item.

fergoose Wed 07-Sep-11 17:47:56

yes - exactly

refund them in full, and they will have to unarrange their courier

how rude of them just to assume!

browneyesblue Wed 07-Sep-11 18:02:21

katiewins - You can't insist on cash on collection. Taken from the help secton on eBay:

All sellers on eBay.co.uk must offer PayPal as a payment method.

fergoose Wed 07-Sep-11 18:23:56

Well no seller in their right mind does accept paypal for collection items - and if you ask eBay live help they will tell you that you are not protected if collecting buyers pay by paypal.

browneyesblue Wed 07-Sep-11 18:43:45

The last 2 items I bought on eBay were collection only. I offered to pay on collection, but both sellers wanted PayPal (something that had never happened before, I admit, but I was happy to pay as they wanted).

eBay rules state that you must accept PayPal, apart from a couple of exceptions (cars, boats, etc). The details can be found here and here.

By refusing to accept PayPal (which offers protection to the seller), the buyer can open a dispute and you risk negative feedback.

fergoose Wed 07-Sep-11 18:55:07

well if you go to the eBay community boards and ask experienced sellers about collection & paypal they will all say cash only. It is a common question asked, and one which eBay should address as they know you cannot provide online proof of delivery.

Katie read here for example

community.ebay.co.uk/topic/Seller-Central/Collection-Item-Buyer/1700016327?#msg1700109695

I would rather risk neg feedback than lose some money to be honest.

katiewins22 Wed 07-Sep-11 19:51:08

Firstly - sorry I have hijacked somebody else thread. I thought I had started a new thread

The only thing i am thinking is that if they send a courier and I get a receipt then that could help in any dispute. Having said that if they send their "cousin fred who has a van" that won't apply!! I cant package it up as it is a large dining table. I am going to email them and ask for a mobile number and sound them out over the phone - is that a good idea?

fergoose Wed 07-Sep-11 20:28:25

and do you really want to wait in for their courier and what if their courier doesn't or can't give you the tracking information.

you can pull their details from ebay for their phone number

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/know-seller-contact.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now