Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Paypal reversed payment !

(18 Posts)
MyLittleWerewolf Thu 25-Aug-11 12:00:35

I am new to Ebay selling so not sure what has happened here. I sold a Baby Bjorn onEbay, recieved payment and posted recorded delivery the following day - I have a reciept of this. It cost me 77p more than my stated postage but I thought - as it was a high(ish) value item it was worth the extra. I did not charge them the extra, obv.
Next day I recieved the following feedback from the buyer;
'Item was just as described - Got in touch same day and posted next - PERFECT!'

Fine, I thought, but I have just received notice through Paypal that the 'payment I recieved has been reversed'.
Is this something the buyer has done delibrately or could it be an issue with their bank ? Should I have waited for the funds to clear ? It stated that it was an Instant Payment so I thought it safe to send.

I have sent Paypal an email but I can't figure out what has happened. Has anyone else had experience of this ?

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 12:06:47

it could be a problem with the bank/card

have you emailed the buyer asking them to pay you again

what are paypal asking for - a tracking number?

If you sent it to correct address with tracking you should be covered

maybe you would be better off ringing paypal direct

MyLittleWerewolf Thu 25-Aug-11 12:21:42

Paypal haven't given me much info - just that either the buyer or the buyer's bank have reversed the payment.
Not sure what to do - if they don't have the funds to cover it do I not get the money or am I protected by Paypal ? I'm not sure I should contact the seller while the dispute is ongoing should I?
Ugh. SO many questions, sorry. Just confused.

Pudden Thu 25-Aug-11 12:24:41

I had this problem a few weeks ago; turned out the buyers card registered with paypal had passed the expiry date and had forgotten to update with new details. They registered their new one and payment was released

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 12:26:29

paypal are asking you for the tracking number then? As long as you prove delivery to verified address you should be covered

i would also contact the buyer - you can phone them which is probably easier

MyLittleWerewolf Thu 25-Aug-11 13:01:18

Thats the thing, Pudden - they have left positive feedback confirming receipt of item so it must be the bank, surely ?

Fergoose - Paypal have just informed me I need to provide proof of postage which I have so will wait to hear from them - if not I may drop the buyer a line.

Pudden Thu 25-Aug-11 13:08:12

MLW I would contact the buyer asap to inform them that this has happened and get them to look into it i.e check their card is still valid

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 13:10:58

You need proof of delivery I think?

MyLittleWerewolf Thu 25-Aug-11 19:51:48

fergoose - Ah, I see - I sent it recorded so should be able to see who signed for it. Also they have confirmed receipt which makes me think it is the bank for some reason.

Pudden - Will email buyer and tell them - it could be something they have overlooked. I hope so!

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 19:55:56

make sure you give paypal the tracking number then

Pandsbear Fri 26-Aug-11 14:44:09

Oh spooky... this happened to me on exactly the same item (Baby Bjorn carrier) on my first ever ebay sale. It was a buyer's bank problem and the buyer was trying to sort it out (from what I remember, was a few years ago). In the end he sent me a cheque the same day for the reversed payment and that cleared thankfully as he already had the carrier. Never heard anything more re: the reversed payment in the end. Hope all is sorted today for you.

MyLittleWerewolf Fri 26-Aug-11 20:11:24

Fergoose - I will, definately. I'm away from home at the moment and can't get the tracking number till Monday. Have made Paypal aware of this too.

I've just emailled the buyer a brief and cheery email so will wait to see how they respond.

Pandsbear - How weird! My main problem is that I'm not sure what happens if they don't have the funds or refuse to pay up - do Paypal allow me to keep the money or do I end up out of pocket ?

MyLittleWerewolf Sun 04-Sep-11 19:09:48

Me again, just wanted to update to see if anyone can recommend how I should proceed ?
It's been 10 days since Paypal reversed payment - after seeking advice on MN I contacted the buyer who said his bank was refusing to transfer to Paypal and that he was in the process of sorting it.
Paypal status claims the dispute is being assessed and that they have emailed the buyer but I have heard nothing and an email to Paypal just generates a generic response.
I'm worried that the problem may be a lack of funds on behalf of the buyer - in this instance will Paypal reimburse me or to I have to get the item posted back to me and have to resell ? I'm CLUELESS when it comes to ebay so any advice appreciated.

fergoose Sun 04-Sep-11 19:24:46

I think you need to phone paypal and contact your buyer again. Seems a bit of a lame excuse to be honest!

why can't your buyer send you a cheque?

did you give paypal the tracking number proving delivery - if so that should be enough to sort it I think.

MyLittleWerewolf Sun 04-Sep-11 20:59:19

Thanks Fergoose,
I am searching for the tracking number as I type although it is worringly not where I thought it was. Luckily the buyer has confirmed receipt both by email and feedback.
In the email Paypal sent me there was a Customer Services number so will try that tomorrow - I have also written to the buyer to suggest he sends me a cheque - I wouldn't normally mind too much but it's the non-contact which makes me nervous.
If he doesn't give me an adequate response I may write again and ask that he sends it back so I can resell. Will he have to pay postage or will I ?

fergoose Sun 04-Sep-11 21:06:40

unfortunately if you can't give paypal the tracking number they won't offer you any seller protection. Buyers feedback or email confirmation doesn't count with paypal

I wouldn't ask for the item back, I doubt it will be in as good a condition as you sent it out. I am sure the buyer could send you a cheque or postal order for the amount.

MyLittleWerewolf Mon 05-Sep-11 18:49:57

Thanks Fergoose - i have found the tracking number and sent it to Paypal - shortly after I received an email from the buyer saying it was a problem with his card and that he had now credited my account. Phew! All sorted. Thanks for all your help.

fergoose Mon 05-Sep-11 18:52:47

excellent - am glad it is all sorted smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now