Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

The 'seller' will not let me have the item!

(34 Posts)
Bloodymary Tue 23-Aug-11 20:53:36

This evening I won a very nice bridesmaids/prom dress for my little girl. The seller said that it had cost £300 originally, tho I doubt that and it does not matter to me anyway. The starting price was 99p. i won it for just over £10, and paid straight away by Paypal. (as usual).
Now I have received a message from the seller saying that it was at a 'fixed' price, and that she would not let it go for less than £100.
Oh, and she says that she will refund my money.
What do I do now???

TribbleWithoutACause Tue 23-Aug-11 21:59:54

Report her and start a dispute thrOugh paypal and eBay. You enter into a legally binding contract when you sell or buy on eBay and for her to go back on her side of things means she's breaking her contract.

LawrieMarlow Tue 23-Aug-11 22:02:50

If she wanted to sell it at a fixed price she could have sold it at a fixed price using Buy It Now. She chose to sell it through an auction. You should start a dispute (although it seems unlikely she will have to sell it to you for £10 - it will probably just result in you getting your money back)

fergoose Tue 23-Aug-11 22:15:20

start a non performing seller dispute and provide copy of her email stating she refuses to honour the transaction

you could tell her if she doesn't send the item she will get a strike, etc, but I doubt very much she will care or send the item.

Bloodymary Wed 24-Aug-11 10:43:43

Thanks everyone, I will get onto it this morning. As LaurieMarlow said I doubt that she will sell it to me for £10, but thats life.
What I think annoys me more than anything is that she is trying to take me for a fool by saying it was at a fixed price, it was not it was an auction!

In fact she probably put it in at 99p because that makes it free to list.

Honeydragon Wed 24-Aug-11 10:47:01

She needs to be reported. She could have easily lied and say she had noticed a fault with the item, lost it yada yada. Instead she basically tried to ransome the item to get you to pay a further £90!

Ebay need to be aware of sellers doing this, it was listed at £0.99 she had plenty of time to notice her mistake if she had made one.

You won't get the dress, but you will have done the right thing by reporting the email.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Wed 24-Aug-11 20:22:55

I'd report her, she sounds like she has deliberately been dishonest.
I'm just trying to decide whether to report a seller on ebay. I bought a rather expensive item (furniture) on 3rd August and paid immediately. It said delivery in 4 to 6 working days. I still have not had a confirmed delivery date and am being arsed around by the seller who is blaming the delivery company who are simply not phoning to arrange delivery. We have made sure we are in or answerphone is on in case they call and they have not.

DH and I have voiced our displeasure to the company and the owner phoned this morning to say he would speak to the delivery company and ensure it was delivered next week. Gave a choice of 3 days that it could be delivered. He has just phoned back saying he has had a bad day, trying to sort it out blah blah blah and saying maybe he could just re-fund instead. Tempting, except we wanted that furniture, we had been searching for several weeks before we chose it and doesn't look like we can get it any cheaper anywhere else. I am very suspicious about this, particularly as I've just seen several more of his adverts for the same furniture on ebay offering next day delivery!
what would you do? (sorry for hijack) -

OP, can you update us what happens if you report to ebay please. Would be very interesting to know how they deal with it.

fergoose Wed 24-Aug-11 20:28:23

ebay will just give the seller a non performing strike - too many of those and their account will be suspended, sometimes for a few weeks sometimes longer.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Wed 24-Aug-11 20:32:57

oh, that is interesting to know

Bloodymary Thu 25-Aug-11 16:14:10

Well I reported her as a non selling seller, and ebay are apparently giving her a 'strike' of some sort!
Oh and she has refunded my Paypal a/c.

Hope you get your delivery soon mumofsoon, I have always been lucky with ebay, so I was very peed off when this seller said that she wanted more money for the item. If I had bought this item for an 'occasion' I would have been fuming.

Ah well I will not be put of off ebay that easily.

<<looks around room and little girl, both entirely kitted out in ebay>> blush

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 16:18:44

hope you left her negative feedback too - just don't mention ebay or refund in it.

just say; seller didn't get enough money for item so refused to sell it to me.

Bloodymary Thu 25-Aug-11 16:29:25

Hmm, yes I have been trying to think of a suitably cutting response, that sounds good.
Thanks.

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 16:33:01

she probably forgot to set a reserve

i would forget it, please don't neg her for it

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 16:33:49

btw three strikes are you're banned for 6 weeks, then do it again and get banned.

it's a buyers site now.

Bloodymary Thu 25-Aug-11 16:54:27

ghostofstalbans No I do not think she would have forgotten, because if you put an item in for auction starting at 99p. then it is a free listing.
Whereas anything else and you have to pay a listing fee.

LawrieMarlow Thu 25-Aug-11 16:59:53

Why shouldn't she give a negative - thpe buyer refused to honour her side of the contract.

mumofsoontobelawstudent Thu 25-Aug-11 17:07:08

I think I'd give a negative too, sounds like not a mistake. Funny old thing, still no call from delivery company despite being promised they'd phone today angry

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 17:23:40

the seller may have started the auction with a buy it now price which would have vanished once a bid was placed - but that is no excuse to not honour the auction

if she wanted more for it, she should have started with a higher price

What is the point of being able to use feedback if you don't use it to warn other buyers - I totally agree, leave her a negative. Even saying 'non-performing seller refused to honour transaction' is plenty. Businesslike and not a personal comment, just stating the facts.

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 17:28:04

you lot are really harsh, do any of you sell on ebay too?

the feedback system sucks as a seller can't warn other sellers when the buyer pulls a fast one, as they tend to do all the bloody time now on ebay and get away with it

she refunded, leave a neut not a neg

fergoose Thu 25-Aug-11 17:32:17

yes I sell on ebay - and I adhere to the rules. If I refused to send an item because I didn't get enough money for it I would expect a neg. And I have sent items out at a massive loss in the past, that's just the way it goes.

ghostofstalbans Thu 25-Aug-11 17:39:27

oh well, would have thought a strike enough

Bloodymary Thu 25-Aug-11 17:48:22

Yes I also sell on ebay; and as I understand it the point of feedback is to tell others about your experience with the seller.

So what would you think constitutes a negative feedback ghost?

Billmelater Thu 25-Aug-11 21:22:21

A strike is not enough. As a buyer, I wouldn't know she has a strike, or what a strike means. All I see is the negative feedback. And I wouldn't bother bidding with a seller who later says, nope, sorry, wanted more money, you can't have it.

cheesesarnie Thu 25-Aug-11 21:27:06

as a seller id be pretty shocked if i did that and didnt get a neg.buyers warn other buyers.

toodles Thu 25-Aug-11 21:27:46

Definitely leave a negative. That's the whole point of the feedback system.
So what if she refunded. She didn't honour the contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now