Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this right? Postage Q

(7 Posts)
Mumswang Tue 23-Aug-11 13:33:11

I Bought an item on eBay and just had the following message from the seller:

HI THERE, I HAVE POSTED THE ITEM AND THEY ME FOR 11.25 FOR THE POSTAGE WHEN YOU GET IT CAN YOU PAY THE EXTRA FOR ME. IT MY MISTAKE. AM VERY SORRY. IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS I WILL EMAIL THE RECEIPT FOR YOU. THANKS

I was charged £8 for the postage, so this adds £3 onto the cost, plus I suspect I'll be charged a handling fee by the PO

it doesn't seem right, if they made a mistake with the postage shouldn't they take the hit?

Any advice?

fergoose Tue 23-Aug-11 13:48:26

yes they should take the hit

They cannot ask you to pay more than the postage price in the auction - it is their mistake if they have underquoted the post price

I don't see how you would be charged a handling fee too - if they posted it with the correct amount paid then there will be no extra or any handling fee to pay anyway?

Mumswang Tue 23-Aug-11 13:56:56

Ah ok, so they have paid the full postage and are asking me to reimburse them? I read it as I've posted it but there will be an additional cost when it's delivered t you. Like when you post a letter without enough postage on it

Ok so in that case I just say 'no, I'm not happy to reimburse you '?

fergoose Tue 23-Aug-11 14:17:14

oh maybe I read it wrong then!

But yes, if they have paid more than they expected then it is their fault and they cannot ask you for more money than is specified in the auction

LawrieMarlow Tue 23-Aug-11 14:25:27

You don't need to pay ant extra - if they got it wrong it is their fault.

deliakate Tue 23-Aug-11 14:40:55

I mailed an item out to Singapore once and had got the postage a little wrong. I was fully prepared to take the hit, but the sweet buyer put it into my Paypal account without me even asking!

Takitezee Wed 24-Aug-11 12:40:05

The seller isn't very clear but as the PO wouldn't have taken it without full postage then it seems that she is expecting you to pay her the balance.

Just send her a polite e-mail saying that you have paid the agreed postage and won't be paying anymore.

It was up to her to find out the price before sending, not you and she should take the hit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now