Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

surely he should've paid by now?

(14 Posts)
milkshakejake Wed 10-Aug-11 17:26:50

sold a computer for a really good price on sunday night to a new buyer (zero feedback - which did ring alarm bells, but we've all got to start somewhere), and he STILL hasn't paid or even contacted me. We really need the money as soon as possible as we're going on holiday on Friday (not away, just camping locally and then day trips out), so today I sent him a slightly stroppy message saying 'please pay, or at least tell me when you are going to pay' and tomorrow i will open a non-paying bidder dispute.

What is the point of bidding for an item (and getting into a bidding war at the end!) and then not even contacting the seller? I have sent him two invoices now too, but won't be making any more contact apart from the NPB.

GGRR! Wonder if he's got buyer's remorse or he's just clueless and thinks he can pay whenever he likes...

Any advice? I was really hoping that someone local would buy it so that we could either deliver it or they could pick up, but he's about 100 miles away so I'll have to pack it up really carefully.

fergoose Wed 10-Aug-11 17:31:10

you will just have to open a non paying bidder dispute on day 4 which sends them a reminder, then after a further 4 days you can close it if they haven't paid, and get your fees back.

Your buyer could be just taking a while, or it could be someone with no intention of paying.

You can then relist or send a second chance offer to the underbidder.

milkshakejake Wed 10-Aug-11 20:41:09

thanks - it is SO annoying when people do this, it's probably happened about 3 or 4 times in the 8 yrs or so that i've been on ebay. Typical that it would be on a high-ticket item that we really need the money for!

fergoose Wed 10-Aug-11 22:07:31

what if they pay when you are away - will it be a while till you can dispatch?

Takitezee Thu 11-Aug-11 15:30:11

I wouldn't open a disupte until I had waited a week as some people just seem to take ages to pay. You also have no idea what is going on in their life and there could be a good reason.

I don't think you should have listed it with an end date so near to your holiday as you won't be able to send it if they pay whilst you're away.

milkshakejake Sat 13-Aug-11 22:08:54

We are only away for four nights, only 5 miles from home (so easy to pop back if necessary - DH has internet on phone), and if he'd paid within 3 days of the auction, we could've easily packed it up and sent it in the 5 days before our holiday. As it turns out, the weather is abysmal and the baby wouldn't sleep, so our 2nd night camping is actually being spent at home drying out and getting some sleep smile The rest of our 'holiday' will be spent doing day trips so v.easy to pop to a post office. It's not like I'm going to Lanzarote for two weeks!

If he pays before Sunday then I can pack it up on Monday and send it Tuesday (my dispatch times are 3-4 working days). But i doubt he will pay now - he has given me no communication and has no feedback. I've requested to cancel the transaction as my guess is that he's got buyer's remorse. i thought it would be easier all round if I offered to cancel it and then i could relist soon as poss.

I'm just really annoyed that this time-waster has meant that we are skint for our holiday as we could really have done with the money for next week, day trips etc. it's pretty depressing that I can't leave him a negative for not paying either!!!

fergoose Sat 13-Aug-11 22:19:37

you should have opened a non paying bidder dispute to get your fees back and issue him a strike. if he doesn't respond to your cancel request you won't get your fees back.

milkshakejake Tue 16-Aug-11 15:53:56

oh bugger. i was told by Ebay live today that i should get the FVF back at the end of the cancellation period (7 days after cancellation). If i don't get that back, that's £26!!! Ggrr.

fergoose Tue 16-Aug-11 17:46:08

you will only get your fees back if you do a non paying bidder report or if the buyer agrees to cancel

if ebay live help have told you wrong info then go back to them and complain

milkshakejake Tue 16-Aug-11 18:44:07

so if he doesn't even acknowledge the cancellation I don't get the fees back? Surely if he doesn't answer their emails it proves that he has no interest in continuing the transaction. Grr. i will complain to them if I don't get the FVF back, as it doesn't say anywhere on their help pages (as far as I could see) that that would be the case. I just thought it would speed up the whole process to cancel it entirely, but in fact it's made it drag on until the 18th... and now I have a former bidder interested but can't offer it to her until this transaction is cancelled.

fergoose Tue 16-Aug-11 19:06:43

no, you will only get your fees back if he agrees to the cancellation which is why you should always do a non paying bidder dispute, get your fees back and gives them a strike.

milkshakejake Wed 17-Aug-11 21:27:59

oh bum. I'll know next time, won't i?

milkshakejake Thu 18-Aug-11 20:56:54

Fergoose - FYI - Ebay gave me the option to close the case today, so I did, and they said I will get the FVF back as buyer has not communicated. Hooray! Was starting to feel sick about having to pay £26 for nothing because some timewasting little scrote bid and didn't pay.

*Case type: Cancel transaction
Case status: Closed. You closed the case after 7 days because the buyer did not respond to your request. You have received a Final Value Fee credit.*

milkshakejake Thu 18-Aug-11 20:58:52

on a lighter note, the second bidder wants to buy it AND pick it up!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now