Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

If an item goes missing, who claims?

(12 Posts)
Imnotaslimjim Mon 08-Aug-11 15:02:21

I bought a pair of jeans from Ebay, 27/7. I bought several other items on the same day, and everything else has arrived

Contacted seller, and they have said they are sending me the receipt for postage and a claim form, so I can claim from Royal Mail

Isn't it up to the seller to claim? If so, can someone link me to the bit on Ebay that says so please as I can't find it

fergoose Mon 08-Aug-11 15:16:46

yes it is up to the seller to claim - they have the contract with royal mail - not you

just open item not received dispute for your refund - you don't need to prove anything to the seller! You are entitled to a full refund by the way.

fergoose Mon 08-Aug-11 15:18:13

oh and normally it is 15 working days for items to be considered lost, if only posted on 27th Jul then they wouldn't be considered lost until 17th Aug I think.

sorry for double post

Imnotaslimjim Mon 08-Aug-11 17:05:40

Thanks for the replies, Fergoose. I've messaged seller, explaining I need them to claim, but they can't do so til Friday. Just waiting to see what they say now

fergoose Mon 08-Aug-11 17:48:01

open a not received dispute - if you do it with ebay you have to wait 10 days to escalate. If you do it with paypal you can escalate it straight away.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 08-Aug-11 18:26:15

Thanks fergoose. I'm going to wait for the seller to reply again and see what they say and take it from there. If they still insist on me claiming, I'll put the dispute in. Never had to do one!

fergoose Mon 08-Aug-11 19:17:03

Yes I agree, wait a day or so for a reply. Don't take any nonsense when they reply - it is their responsibility as a seller to get the item to you and if they say anything else they are just plain wrong, so don't let them bully you.

Don't worry dispute is very easy and straightforward to do.

Imnotaslimjim Tue 09-Aug-11 10:42:06

She has replied and said its fine, she didn't know she was to claim as she's never had to do it. We're going to wait til friday as that is day 16 and if they haven't arrived by then she'll refund to me and put a claim in

Thanks for your help, I thought I was right, just needed it clarifying

Imnotaslimjim Tue 09-Aug-11 14:29:31

Well after all that, they've turned up this morning! postmark says they were sent first class on 29th, so over a week! Takes the mickey

fergoose Tue 09-Aug-11 17:13:33

oh no - so seller was telling truth then, just royal mail were useless

Imnotaslimjim Tue 09-Aug-11 17:54:52

Yep, so I've messaged her, with my apologies and thanked her for being patient

fergoose Tue 09-Aug-11 18:55:03

no need to apologise to the seller - is not your fault royal mail were slow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now