Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

'New without tags' items are shabby and not brands described WWYD?

(10 Posts)
whippet Fri 05-Aug-11 14:20:28

Bought a clothing bundle for DS. 20 items described as 'new/ worn once' and 'brands are X or Y'

when they arrive, it's a load of tat. Several very washed out T shirts. Marked clothes.
Lots of cheap brands. less than half are the brands mentioned.

I've e-mailed the seller saying I want a refund + return postage, but am wondering what to do if they don't play ball?

Is it worth opening a dispute?
The cost was about £16 + £4 postage. The items probably aren't worth more than about £6-£8, so I don't want to have to pay this much again to send them back.

Should I suggest the buyer gives me a partial refund, and I keep them? Or what?

thisisyesterday Fri 05-Aug-11 14:25:20

hmm did it say that all the clothes were those brands, or just included those brands?
unless it said they were ALL specific brands then I don't think you can complain aboutt hat

you can however dispute the condition if they were described as new/as new/worn once.

wait and see what they say, and if they refuse then open a dispute

Sossiges Fri 05-Aug-11 14:26:23

I wouldn't back down if you're really not happy and you've asked for a full refund, just open a dispute if they get stroppy

whippet Fri 05-Aug-11 15:11:45

The listing said "brands are either X or Y"
not that those brands were included.

I've just looked through again. It really is an awful misrepresentation. The sizes are all over the place too - said for ages 12-14 and there's an age 7-8 coat!
angry

I've never had any problems with this sort of thing before, I'm really hacked off... and yet the seller has 100% feedback??

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 05-Aug-11 15:15:46

Sounds like she may have sent the wrong parcel, have you contacted them yet?

fergoose Fri 05-Aug-11 15:44:16

open a not as described dispute - you will get a reply then!

you don't need to escalate straight away, giving seller plenty of time to rectify if it is a genuine mistake

When you send back make sure it goes tracked - you may find a courier is cheaper - lots of them offer a really cheap deal for first order so have a good google to compare quotes

whippet Fri 05-Aug-11 15:48:27

It's not the wrong parcel, as the clothes are the ones shown in the picture angry

Some of the T shirts are OK, but I wouldn't have paid £16 for them!

Can you ever get sellers to give you a partial refund because the items aren't as described.

It's such a faff getting a courier to pick stuff up, as I'm not usually around during the day. I think I'd rather s/he gave me £10 back or something.

I wonder if the listing has been copied across from a previous one, and still includes some of the text?

Can't believe the seller described them as BNWT though! Shocking.....

fergoose Fri 05-Aug-11 15:57:27

you can ask for a partial refund, but many sellers don't want to give them.

how long ago did you email the seller, could they be busy or do you think they are ignoring you? Is there feedback generally good?

If you open the dispute in eBay and not paypal - you can specify what you want, and you can say you want a refund of X amount there.

Start here

resolutioncentre.ebay.co.uk/

milkshakejake Wed 10-Aug-11 20:49:45

That is shocking, esp. if the sizes are 5 yrs off!! Definitely open a dispute and let us know how it goes! Don't back down, she has either made a mistake or is ripping you off, and why should you be out of pocket either way?

whippet Wed 10-Aug-11 21:14:29

OK - just to give you an update - I think it's resolved....

After I e-mailed the seller (think it might be a bloke - at least the e-mail name is a bloke) and he replied saying I could return them and he'd give me a refund.

I replied saying I didn't see why I should have to pay postage, and that it was such a faff, and would he consider splitting the sale price and refunding me half, given the fact that they weren't fairly described.

Then it all went quiet.

After a couple of days I emailed and said what did he want to do.

He replied that he'd refunded me 50% by Paypal.
I checked Paypal, but had recived nothing. I e-mailed him this fact.

Two days on, and still nothing, so I emailed saying a) you have made a payment mistake or b) you haven't paid - please check it out either way.

The I got a shirty e-mail saying don't accuse me of being dishonest, and claiming he'd paid via the 'ebay' e-mail address (which I think is a temporary one created when you 'respond' via e-mail).

I sent correct e-mail, and bingo, I got my 50% refund tonight, together with a note saying 'don't buy from me again' - the cheek!

Anyway, I've now washed all the stuff and some of it will be OK. The rest is heading to the charity shop tomorrow.....

What a faff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now