Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How to pay for item that is collection only

(13 Posts)
Cannotthinkofaname Wed 03-Aug-11 14:40:28

I am new to ebay and this is the first item that I have won at auction and also collection only item.

I was wondering how I would be for the item? Would I pay by paypal or when I collect.

I would be very embarrassed paying on collection as it is only £3.52 for an expensive pushchair. So I will be sending dp to collect the item.

fergoose Wed 03-Aug-11 14:47:32

you are advised to use cash for collection items - if you are embarrassed you can always offer a bit more.

What a bargain - hope it is good smile

gallicgirl Wed 03-Aug-11 15:04:46

I used paypal in a similar situation. Not sure what happens about the fees if you pay cash on collection. I suspect it also means there's no complaint procedure if the item isn't as expected - but - I'm not experienced at ebay so could be wrong on that.

fergoose Wed 03-Aug-11 15:30:37

if you pay seller paypal they pay fees on the payment. The ebay final value and listing fees are separate.

For £3 odd it would be pretty mean to pay by paypal, as the seller will lose some of that money in fees.

Yes as a buyer you don't have protection paying cash, but you can refuse to buy and walk away if item is not as described.

Sellers should never accept paypal for collection items as buyer could pretend not to receive the item, claw back their money as there is no online proof of delivery, and keep the item too.

HairyJo Wed 03-Aug-11 15:33:32

Pay cash on collection, if they wanted more for the pushchair they would have started at a higher price.

I would be annoyed if I was the seller and you used paypal. If they are only getting £3.52 seems mean to make them pay fees on that

Cannotthinkofaname Wed 03-Aug-11 15:57:14

I have messaged the seller and she has said paypal or cash we decided cash on collection.

Thanks for all of your replies.

fergoose Wed 03-Aug-11 17:34:56

good - let us know how you get on - I hope it is as much of a bargain as you hope it is smile

Cannotthinkofaname Wed 03-Aug-11 21:21:50

I will let you know when I get the item.

Cannotthinkofaname Wed 03-Aug-11 21:26:35

Can someone help with this question?

I messaged the seller asking when can I collect and they replied "I am in Thursday morning or friday so what ever is easiest for you"

Do we just go over to to collect on one of these times? or do we ask for a time that is the most convenient for them?

I am a new ebayer only been a member since may and this is the first collection only item we have won.

navyblueknickers Wed 03-Aug-11 21:55:37

I would normally suggest a time, so as she has said Thurs or Friday morning, choose which is better for you and suggest a time i.e "Please can we make it 10:30 Thursday?" - if you are unsure of how long it will tke you, then you could always say between 10 and 11 for example. Hope its a good bargain.

StopRainingPlease Wed 03-Aug-11 22:12:33

I bought something this way for 99p once. I suggested I hand over cash as it would save the paypal fees but they insisted on a paypal payment before they gave me the address for pickup confused.

exoticfruits Wed 03-Aug-11 22:13:24

Just name a time and collect with cash.

melyeo Sat 06-Aug-11 10:09:20

If you think it is worth more then give them a fiver cash and say keep the change. Well thats what i'd do anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now