Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

paying return postage on a faulty item

(4 Posts)
teddies Fri 22-Jul-11 21:39:09

I have bought something which has a cracked part making it unusable. The seller offered to send a replacement part but I had to use the item on a specific date ( a car accessory) so had to buy an alternative from Halfords. Seller will take back faulty item and refind but will not agree to pay return postage, do I have any right to insist they do, they are a business seller? thanks

Tryharder Sat 23-Jul-11 00:43:13

I think technically they are not obliged to pay for return postage but any decent seller will do so. I am surprised your seller will not because he runs the risk of pissing you off thus you leave negative feedback or mark him down in stars...

80sbabe Sat 23-Jul-11 00:47:15

A good seller would refund your return postage, business seller or not.
However, under Ebay rules they do not technically have any obligation other than to refund your original payment.
To receive a refund you would need to return the item via trackable method or prove receipt. Proof of postage is not sufficient for an Ebay claim.
In your shoes I would open a return item case for "not as described" - make sure you follow the instructions and return tracked.
It may turn out that you have to suffer the return postage costs but whether it is worth this depends on the original amount paid.
Personally I don't think much to the behaviour of your seller, especially as the item is faulty. It is not how I would behave and I despair when I hear of such sellers.
Do make sure you leave factual and accurate feedback though and if you open a case do not mention it as your feedback may be removed.

teddies Mon 25-Jul-11 19:51:57

thanks for your advice, I have sent the item back with UPS and will email the seller tomorrow to ask politely for the return postage to be refunded - it was £7 so not to be sniffed at.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now