Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is there a way of being emailed as soon as something you're looking for is listed?

(12 Posts)
aswellasyou Tue 19-Jul-11 23:33:31

I keep finding that as soon as I list something interesting/hard to find, there are people watching it pretty much straight away. How do they know so quickly?! I have some saved searches but it irritates me that they only tell you the next day after something's been listed. Is there some way of finding out more quickly? I'm thinking along the lines of Goofbay although I've never used those sites.

rockinhippy Wed 20-Jul-11 23:33:36

Yes - not sure how it works, but my DH does it through e-bay itself, - comes in mail as new items that match ---x pretty much instantly - I always thought it was through his saved searches confused

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 12:02:37

Are you sure they're not coming through the next day? It does say new items but they're not sent immediately. There must be a way!

rockinhippy Thu 21-Jul-11 12:39:45

yes, we share a mailbox & they pop up all the time, day & night - drives me nuts TBHhmm - he's a collector, so he's very on the ball at wanting to know what comes up thats on his "list" so that he can try & get the seller to sell privately, so he has it set up so that he gets an instant notification, so as I say, not sure how, but there IS a way - I would ask him but he's not here & not sure I would take it in properly ATM anywayconfused

Why does it bother you that you have people watching?? if its for personal reasons I think theres a way you can "block" people - I know DH has done that with a friend of ours

rockinhippy Thu 21-Jul-11 12:40:55

What is "Goofbay" BTW??

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 13:36:04

Oh no, it's not that I'm concerned about people watching my items. I'm worried I'm missing out on things listed as BIN because people who get instant notification are buying them before I even see them. It's not a big deal at all. It just amazes me that people can be watching my items a couple of minutes after listing and I want to get in on the action!grin

Goofbay lets you place a bid on an item at the last moment when you're not able to do it yourself-you put in your bid and item number and it does it for you. It does all sorts of other things too but I've never looked into it.

rockinhippy Thu 21-Jul-11 14:14:35

Ahhh - that makes sense smile- same as DH then grin -

he/we use auctionstealer - which is the same sort of thing as Goofbay by the sounds of it - it is great smile

Do you think it might be favourite seller notifications, or sellers sending them notifications?? - I've done that with things that I've listed myself, people have asked if I'm putting more up for sale, so I've sent them a notification to say when I have just listed more IYSWIM - that has been new BIN stuff

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 14:42:39

I doubt it to be honest. I've been slowly selling things I donn't use anymore but I've done it in groups of the same item. So each time it's happened, it's something I haven't sold before, so i wouldn't have thought my previous buyers would happen to want the new stuff too.

One day I'll work out how to do it myself!

Moanna Thu 21-Jul-11 16:10:37

You can save searches that you make, this means that eBay emails you with any new listed items that match your search. Very handy!

aswellasyou Thu 21-Jul-11 17:05:53

I do have saved searches, but, as I say, I'd like to know straight away like others seem to. I just can't work out how to get them when they're listed rather than as a round-up email the next day.

foodjunkie Fri 22-Jul-11 13:54:07

There is a "Want It Now" section in your homepage I think. You type in the keywords & you'll get an email as soon as a listing meeting your description is added.

It's worked very well for me in the past.

aswellasyou Fri 22-Jul-11 14:28:51

Thankyou foodjunkie. I'm a little bit confused about this. Does it just tell you when something's posted in the Want it Now section?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now