Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer claiming to have not received an item

(12 Posts)
Fefeffion Sat 16-Jul-11 10:56:30

Hi - just wondered if anybody had any experience of this. I sold a item of childs clothing on ebay - cost inc p&p £3.80. I posted the item off to the address given at the end of June. Have just received an email from buyer saying that she has just returned from overseas and the item has not been delivered and asking me to track the item. I'm not disputing that the item hasn't arrived and I have the basic post office receipt as proof of postage. Just wondered what to do next? Is it my responsibility to ring and track the item?? Any advice would be great as I have happily been ebaying for a couple of months now and this is my first hiccup. (I tore the house apart looking for the proof of postage, so have learnt that lesson). thanks

fergoose Sat 16-Jul-11 11:10:45

yes as the seller it is your responsibility to get the item to the buyer - after 15 working days you should refund the buyer then start a claim with royal mail.

If it wasn't sent recorded there is no way to track the item. Ask buyer to check with neighbours and sorting office.

baguettecut Sat 16-Jul-11 11:14:41

Up to you to refund I'm afraid then claim back from RM. Always send Signed For, it's worth the extra 70p, just add to your p&p charges.

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 11:18:21

I sell a lot on e-bay and have had several things not arrive, i always give a refund, i know a lot of people now send recorded but i dont as i get bad feedback for charging to much postage (you can't win), i often only sell the dd's clothes so its easier to just refund and not get bad feedback. I agree though, if she has been on holiday it may be at a neighbours house or at the sorting office so get her to check before refunding her.

fergoose Sat 16-Jul-11 11:21:40

look at it this way - if you don't send recorded you are saving 70p on each item, which is a kind of self insurance, so a buffer for any not received claims.

I'm afraid I've just had to refund an item too, I don't know if I believe buyer but not worth arguing about it for a few quid is it. And you must always claim with royal mail.

Fefeffion Sat 16-Jul-11 11:23:44

Thanks for your help. I'll email seller and give her a refund. I will definitely send recorded from now on, I suppose if the item turns up at her address I will just have to put it down to experience. Thanks again

maxybrown Sat 16-Jul-11 18:56:35

well you're not saving yourself 70p each time as surely the buyer pays the postage anyway confused I always allow for recorded and always sell my things no problem and have not been marked down on my postage

FabbyChic Sat 16-Jul-11 19:29:55

Sent an item on Tuesday, today the lady says where is her item, I know she has it, but what can I do? I refund £13.85! Pita

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 19:33:26

Fabby - how do you know she has it? ypu can get your money back through royal mail, yes it a PITA but thats what you agree to when you sell on e-bay (the item is your responsibility until it arrives), if it gets lost in the post its up to you to get a refund from royal mail as the buyer can not.

Marne Sat 16-Jul-11 19:33:57

oh, and the seller has to wait at least a week for a refund.

Tryharder Sat 16-Jul-11 23:19:50

I agree with Fabby. I have been selling for a few years now and have had about 4 items in total go missing in the post. One lady was very apologetic and polite and I believed her 100%. Eventually her parcel was returned to me - I suspect Royal Mail tried to deliver and forgot to leave a delivery note. The other 3 have all been rude and belligerent and I suspected them of foulplay! Nothing you can do about it though sad.

But if your buyer was expecting a parcel delivery, she shouldn't have travelled overseas unless she made special arrangements with the post office. How are RM expected to deliver a parcel to her if she isn;t there to answer the door or collect it from the sorting office? confused.

Fefeffion Sun 17-Jul-11 10:46:06

Quick update: I emailed buyer to offer a refund and as suggested I asked her if she had checked with neighbours. I received an email from buyer saying not to worry about a refund as she was sure it would turn up??? She had also left feedback saying 'excellent seller - recommended'. The mind boggles, but she could have easily claimed her refund aswell as having received the skirt, so at least I was dealing with an honest buyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now