Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Does winning with a 99p bid mean you get it for free?! Have I missed something?

(6 Posts)
BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 20:05:01

I've sold a lot of our baby things on ebay recently and today someone came to collect a cot mobile that they'd won for 99p. I answered the door, said hello and asked if they had come for the mobile. The man said yes they had, took it from me and turned to leave. I said that they hadn't paid and he said "oh, don't be silly".

I must have looked a bit shocked because then the woman said to the man 'you better pay her' and then he rummaged in his pockets and found a pound to give to me and then they walked off.

So have I missed something? Is winning for 99p considered a free hand over or something? I'm not sure if I was being a bit pathetic but I wanted my 99p!

Grumpla Tue 12-Jul-11 20:06:05

I would have added Rudeness Tax at about 500%. Cheeky sod!

catsareevil Tue 12-Jul-11 20:06:55

Thats a bit odd. They should have used freecycle if they wanted it free. If nothing else, you would still have to pay fees as if you had sold it for £1, so you would then be paying them to take it. Chancers IMO.

BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 20:09:20

Catsare I hadn't thought of that, i would have made a loss if they hadn't paid because of the listing fee! Cheeky sod!

notcitrus Tue 12-Jul-11 20:17:51

He's a cheeky git! I've just been happy when 99p winners don't want their penny change!

I swear people who win items for under £2 are 10x more trouble than all the ones who pay more.

Tryharder Thu 14-Jul-11 01:13:27

What the actual fuck?? The blind cheek of some people. I hope you ostentatiously handed him his 1p change.

Although I sold a joblot of children's videos on ebay for 99p. The woman emailed me to tell me she was coming at such and such a time. I forgot and was out at the time so left her hanging outside my house for 30 mins. By way of apology, I wouldn't take the £1 she handed over.... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now