Talk

Advanced search

Does winning with a 99p bid mean you get it for free?! Have I missed something?

(6 Posts)
BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 20:05:01

I've sold a lot of our baby things on ebay recently and today someone came to collect a cot mobile that they'd won for 99p. I answered the door, said hello and asked if they had come for the mobile. The man said yes they had, took it from me and turned to leave. I said that they hadn't paid and he said "oh, don't be silly".

I must have looked a bit shocked because then the woman said to the man 'you better pay her' and then he rummaged in his pockets and found a pound to give to me and then they walked off.

So have I missed something? Is winning for 99p considered a free hand over or something? I'm not sure if I was being a bit pathetic but I wanted my 99p!

Grumpla Tue 12-Jul-11 20:06:05

I would have added Rudeness Tax at about 500%. Cheeky sod!

catsareevil Tue 12-Jul-11 20:06:55

Thats a bit odd. They should have used freecycle if they wanted it free. If nothing else, you would still have to pay fees as if you had sold it for £1, so you would then be paying them to take it. Chancers IMO.

BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 20:09:20

Catsare I hadn't thought of that, i would have made a loss if they hadn't paid because of the listing fee! Cheeky sod!

notcitrus Tue 12-Jul-11 20:17:51

He's a cheeky git! I've just been happy when 99p winners don't want their penny change!

I swear people who win items for under £2 are 10x more trouble than all the ones who pay more.

Tryharder Thu 14-Jul-11 01:13:27

What the actual fuck?? The blind cheek of some people. I hope you ostentatiously handed him his 1p change.

Although I sold a joblot of children's videos on ebay for 99p. The woman emailed me to tell me she was coming at such and such a time. I forgot and was out at the time so left her hanging outside my house for 30 mins. By way of apology, I wouldn't take the £1 she handed over.... grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: