Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Cash on collection?

(13 Posts)
monkeysmama Tue 12-Jul-11 15:21:45

I've just sold a bike on eBay and asked for payment via paypal then collection. The guy has just emailed to ask if cash on collection is ok saying I will avoid eBay charges.

Wwyd? How much would it save me? The bike is actually my dad's and he'd be there for the collection if that would make a difference.

TIA.

fergoose Tue 12-Jul-11 15:58:35

don't ever take paypal for collection items - you have no protection if the buyer claims not to receive the item and they can claim back all their money as you have no proof of delivery

cash is fine - plus no paypal fees.

HappyAsASandboy Tue 12-Jul-11 18:03:37

I've never sold anything through eBay, but I have bought things and then paid cash when I collected. Don't know whather this saved the seller anything, but it saved me postage and meant I could collect rather than wait in for a postman.

As long as the item is described, I don't think there will be a problem. If you've described it generously, i'd expect a lower offer once they see it .....

monkeysmama Tue 12-Jul-11 18:08:43

That makes sense. Thanks. I don't want to get into bartering once he arrives - I'd just relist instead.

What do I do about eBay / leaving feedback? Just leave it marked as unpaid?

Thanks again

MrsSchue Tue 12-Jul-11 18:29:54

You can mark it as paid and leave feedback as normal.

fergoose Tue 12-Jul-11 19:23:56

you save about 3.4% accepting cash instead of paypal

mollymole Tue 12-Jul-11 20:30:56

it is no business of his what you pay in charges to e bay - i would insist on the paypal and then he can collect when you have the full payment in hand (account)

fergoose Tue 12-Jul-11 20:40:07

but Molly if you accept paypal the buyer can come and collect the item and then do a chargeback and get their money back and keep your item

if you accept paypal you have to post/courier the item with online proof of delivery otherwise you are leaving yourself wide open to fraudulent buyers and chargebacks

FlubbaBubba Tue 12-Jul-11 20:42:14

You pay ebay a percentage of the selling price, whether buyer pays by cash, cheque, paypal or other. You might have paypal costs as fergoose has said.

Don't leave feedback until he's collected and paid for the bike. Most people turn up, hand over the cash (count it if it's big sums) then go; very simple normally.

mollymole Tue 12-Jul-11 21:03:00

when i have had people collect items i have made them a receipt in a duplicate book and we both sign it, and it shows the date and place of collection, item collected and ebay ref.no and both sellers and buyers name and address - a bit pedantic but have had no problems

Acandlelitshadow Tue 12-Jul-11 21:09:13

I've paid and accepted cash for ebay items so I'd take it. You won't save on ebay fees but you'll save on paypal fees.

Stiffing ebay and/or paypal even in a small way warms the cockles of me 'eart grin

fergoose Tue 12-Jul-11 21:24:03

yes but Molly them signing a piece of paper to say they received an item means nothing if that buyer goes to paypal they can claim all their money back and you as a seller are powerless and can do nothing.

Mutt Tue 12-Jul-11 21:31:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now