Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is it really worth it?

(14 Posts)
Curiousmama Tue 12-Jul-11 11:10:25

I just posted 4 items and tbh it cost me more to post than I could charge. Think I'll give up with ebay now tbh. Once ebay take their cut it's just so not worth it.

carocaro Tue 12-Jul-11 15:21:56

U should charge the correct postage from the get go, then you would not loose out

MorticiaAddams Tue 12-Jul-11 15:26:39

Carocaro, if you read the post properly it says that the op could not charge more.

I haven't ebayed for aged but somebody told me that you could list items in the wrong catagory to input the correct postage and then move them. I can't guarantee it will work though.

aswellasyou Tue 12-Jul-11 19:39:33

Why can't you charge the correct postage? If you go into 'freight', the maximum is really high, £99 in some categories if I recall correctly.

BernadetteRostenkowski Tue 12-Jul-11 19:48:52

I was selling some books and they were big hard back books. I weighed them and did the royal mail price finder but then once I'd put all the details into ebay they said I could only charge up to XX amount in postage but it was less than the Post office price finder said it would be, meaning I'd have to take a loss on the postage.
I didn't bother listing them once I realised because it wasn't worth it, once you've paid the listing fee, the paypal fee and then taken a loss on the postage you're left with nothing.

sixlostmonkeys Tue 12-Jul-11 20:24:05

you can add the difference in cost to the starting price.
freight is for (I quote ebay) things like snooker tables, not unfortunately something like a big book or heavy coat.

thisisyesterday Tue 12-Jul-11 20:39:30

the fees seem to have gone up a lot don't they, and you have to pay paypal fees too

i was thinkiong the same thing, plus i've had THREE really bad experiences lately with bad sellers sad

i think i might just start selling on here instead

Lexilicious Tue 12-Jul-11 20:40:51

I'm trying to list something now and I can't seem to make it buyer collects only. Is that right?

Curiousmama Tue 12-Jul-11 20:43:40

thanks for the replies. Not sure if there's anywhere else to sell that'll work? I know people do it on FB from my old town not sure if they do it local to me now though but think I'll check? No fees!

thisisyesterday Tue 12-Jul-11 20:58:51

no, you ought to be able to make it pick-up only... that's def an option

Lexilicious Tue 12-Jul-11 21:18:50

curses. I was on the 'quick' selling page. Can I revise it?

fergoose Tue 12-Jul-11 21:26:00

change postage cost to 0.00 and type in the text collection only - postage/delivery not an option

Lexilicious Tue 12-Jul-11 21:35:54

ah thanks (and sorry for hijack, OP!). I managed to make it a collection only using a drop down which appeared when I revised. Ta!

kellestar Mon 18-Jul-11 19:12:33

If you put £0.00p postage costs, there will be someone who will pay before you get a chance to invoice and then you have to chase them for postage costs, or faff about refunding and then re-invoicing.

For books you can add 'freight' as an option and then postage costs detailed in the listing. I've done this a few times when selling Hardbacks and Series. It means you don't pay additional eBay fees on it, as postage costs are not included.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now