Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item never arrived, seller is being an arse, bank have advised me to go to the police....

(5 Posts)
moominmarvellous Sat 09-Jul-11 23:46:12

which seems extreme but I dont know what else to do now.

Bit of back story: I posted last week about some tickets I purchased from a seller who really could not have looked better. Long history of good feedback, powerseller, lots of items listed. However the tickets I paid over £200 for have never arrived. Purchase was made more than 90 days ago so Ebay disputes/resolution centre wont touch it. Likewise Paypal.

Seller told me tickets had been dispatched (when I asked them as date was nearing, they didn't volunteer this info) but as time passed I became worried so contacted seller. They repeatedly ignored my requests for a tracking number so I could sort it out with the post office. They responded with stock responses 'all tickets gone out, check with post office' and things like that and then ignored me for 4 days...during which time the concert date came and went.

In the meantime I personally checked with the sorting office who said that there is nothing at all en route to my address, nothing awaiting signature on their system and that if I have a tracking number I may be entitled to claim my money back from Royal Mail, but seller would not/could not provide one.

So I asked the bank if I could claim anything through them if it came to it, but as it was a DD transaction rather than credit card, they could do nothing. They strongly advised me to go to the police as it would be viewed as fraud.

I contacted the seller again letting them know what I had been advised to do next, but that I didn't want it to come to that. Would they organise a refund. They said they personally sent my tickets, but then needed my name and address - this seemed strange to me - surely they should have that already if they sent tickets the week before?

They have completely avoided the issue of a refund saying now that they'll check with the post office. But this is all too little too late, to put it bluntly, I now don't give a shit where the tickets are, we missed the concert!

I just don't know where I stand with this. Seller has been incredibly rude as well as inconsistent but is now saying that they are sick of my threats (I can only assume they mean the police but I told them this wasn't what I wanted to do but is my only other route) and will have no more communication with me! THEY will now deal with this through official channels!

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, but they have taken my money, given me no proof of postage/ticket purchase, not even an apology for inconvenience and are now trying to make me in the wrong for daring ask what to do next!

Sorry this is so long, but does anyone have any advice? I hate the thought of taking this to the police but really don't know what else to do.

fergoose Sun 10-Jul-11 08:26:43

well you can go to small claims court for the money - open claim online and take it from there. You have proof you paid. Check their address is correct first using electoral roll

And yes you must go to the police - phone your local non emergency number, mention fraud.

Vix1980 Sun 10-Jul-11 09:17:30

Please go to the police, i fell into this situation a while ago over take that tickets, i paid £300 for wembley seats, organised travel even booked a hotel and when the time came seller had disapeared of the face of the earth and didnt respond to me, All you have to do it make a statement then the police do the rest. this particular seller was taken to court for fraud (it wasnt just me he had done it to but about 6 others), he was given community service and ordered to pay back everyones money which a few months later i received through a cheque from the courts.

Stop them from doing it to someone else if only for their appaling customer service standards!

ChristinedePizan Sun 10-Jul-11 09:21:47

They could have 'borrowed' someone else's account. I bet you're not the only one they have done this too either so yes, I'd report to the police. Clearly not legit

moominmarvellous Sun 10-Jul-11 22:24:22

Hmmmmm looks like the police will have to be the way to go then. I did say to DH that they could have done this before, what with a 45 day limit on leaving feedback as well as the resolution centre time limits, theres no overt way of knowing.

Thanks for your responses, I'll call and make an appointment with the police station tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now