Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

broken zip

(9 Posts)
WomanInTheMoon Thu 07-Jul-11 14:26:59

Hi

I sold a brand new dress last week, I had never worn it all - it had a BIN of £85 but I would also accept offers.

The first offer I received was for £50 which I turned down. She then came back the following week with an offer of £70 which I accepted.
I posted it next day to Ireland and she has received it and has just emailed me saying the zip is broken and will cost a dress maker £18 to repair it.

I know its my word against hers but I checked the zip before I posted it and it worked fine. Is she having me on? I dont know whether its relevant but she has only a little feedback score of 6 (100%)

I'm not sure now what I should do? Please help.
Thanks

fergoose Thu 07-Jul-11 14:41:04

ask her to return it to you in the condition which it was sent- once you have inspected your security markings you will refund her in full.

(if she is trying to scam you this should dissuade her)

Don't go down the partial refund route.

WomanInTheMoon Thu 07-Jul-11 14:49:42

Yes, I am reluctant to offer a partial refund.

I'm gutted a bit as I am only an occasional seller on eBay and would only try to sell honestly. Pah.

Thank you for your advice, I think I'll message her back asking for it to be returned.

fergoose Thu 07-Jul-11 14:59:02

don't forget the security markings bit - am probably being cynical but she could give you back her own damaged dress and keep yours for herself.

WomanInTheMoon Thu 07-Jul-11 15:56:45

I sent her a message offering a full refund once I had received it the dress back and told her I didn't offer partial refunds.

She almost instantly responded telling me the dress is already at the dressmakers being repaired and wanting to know why I don't offer partial refunds.

Do you have any ideas how I can repsond?

I suppose I will just have to take the neg feedback hit!

fergoose Thu 07-Jul-11 16:03:23

say you are sorry but you do not offer partial refunds

by her taking the item to be repaired ( or washing, altering anything) she has accepted the item and you would not be able to offer her anything.

This is standard procedure with any retailer - once you have altered an item you are accepting it, so unfortunately you are unable to give her any money

I think she is trying it on to be honest - paid more than she wanted for it maybe?

fergoose Thu 07-Jul-11 16:05:16

sorry double post - if she leaves a neg, let us know and then can compose a calm, measured response

all you have to say is something along the lines of ' full refund offered on return, buyer decided to alter item at her expense' or some such like

it isn't the negs that put off potential buyers all the time - it is the response which speaks volumes about a seller, so please don't worry.

WomanInTheMoon Thu 07-Jul-11 16:08:17

Hmm maybe you're right.

It really puts me off selling - would be better off at a car boot or something I think.

Fergoose, thank you for your help!!

fergoose Thu 07-Jul-11 16:11:43

you're very welcome - you don't have to justify to the buyer why you don't do partial refunds by the way, but this is an exact scenario when I believe you shouldn't. You have no proof of the damaged zip, so to be honest I do think the buyer is trying to scam you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now