Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Delay in payment

(8 Posts)
Housewife2010 Mon 04-Jul-11 06:16:30

I sold an item for £25 last night. I got a message later from the buyer saying that they would have to pay next week but the would mark the item as paid so that Ebay wouldn't "bug them". What should I do? I'm a bit cross that they have bid without the sufficient funds and that they could have been a bit more apologetic. How long is acceptable to wait and if they mark it as paid and don't would it be too late for me to dispute it?

Newbie20 Mon 04-Jul-11 07:31:44

I've never used eBay so would suggest contacting eBay with all details that you have and see what they suggest. Also if bidder hasn't paid within a week I would complain to eBay anyway and send gentle but firm reminder to bidder.

fergoose Mon 04-Jul-11 07:34:55

you can start unpaid item process in 7 days - then close that in a further 7.

aswellasyou Mon 04-Jul-11 10:37:37

When they mark it as having been paid, eBay asks you to confirm when the payment has been received so that won't affect a claim if you choose to make one. I have opened cases after 4 days which can be closed after a further 4 days if payment hasn't been received.

KaraStarbuckThrace Mon 04-Jul-11 10:52:45

Nope, don't mark as paid.
And you can file a non paying bidder dispute after 4 days.
Ask them to give a firm date for payment, if you are happy to wait then so be it but if they procrastinate then I would file the non paying bidder dispute.

baabi Mon 04-Jul-11 13:57:00

I think he is trying it on. If you mark as paid he can then claim as item not received, I would think. If you are OK to wait just tell him that you will wait until such and such day, if payment not received by that date open a unpaid item dispute. If you are not happy just tell him and open the dispute after 4 days if not paid. Ebay will not bug them for payment if he takes a while to pay, as far as I know it is up to you to chase payment unless there are some settings I am not aware of.
I have had people asking to delay payment and usually I have no problem with that as long as they tell me, but what he is asking you to do does not sound right. I don't always pay straight away either for various reasons and not once had I ebay "bugging me" for payment hmm

Housewife2010 Tue 05-Jul-11 00:12:04

Thanks for all your help. I mailed the seller & told her that I would prefer the money ASAP and that if I received it by Friday I would post it on Saturday (I am not making an extra trip to the PO!) I also said that I would prefer it if she didn't mark it as PAID & so far she hasn't. She replied that Friday should be OK. Why do people bid if they haven't got the money & if they do make a mistake why not be more apologetic?
If I don't receive anything by Sunday, I'll mail her re the dispute process.

fergoose Tue 05-Jul-11 08:04:48

a buyer can't claim not received simply by marking an item as paid - they have to actually pay for it before they can proceed with non receipt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now