Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

customs

(4 Posts)
flaurenoko Fri 01-Jul-11 10:05:49

I bought an item from America, and paid the international postage the seller was asking. I have never had a problem with customs in the past - but I got a letter from Parcel Force saying I had to pay £25 custom fees to get the parcel. I paid this and contacted the seller to say that I had to pay these. I have never had this problem in the past from any other international order I have placed (usually the seller says its a gift under a certain amount on the declaration form).. But I ALSO had to pay a fee for him not paying the custom duty his side..

I emailed him to ask for him to pay the fee and the custom duty and he has said no - he is not responsible for other countries customs fees..

What should I do?!

going Fri 01-Jul-11 10:08:27

It's a risk you take when buying from abroad.

fergoose Fri 01-Jul-11 10:12:56

nothing you can do except leave feedback. The seller could have marked it as a gift really. Not sure why you had to pay charges for other side though?

flaurenoko Fri 01-Jul-11 10:21:23

The letter from parcel force says that I have to pay £10.15 for Import VAT and £13.50 for Clearance Fee (zero rated for VAT purposes).. What it says about the clearance fee is that:

If we receive a parcel from overseas, we will pay any Customs duties and tazes on your behalf to UKBA. However, we will require repayment of these fees together with our clearance fee, Parcelforce Worldwide charges a clearance fee which helps cover the cost of additional handling, administration, collection of monies and provision of facilities for Customs clearance of packages.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: