Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

You have funds! Think someone's trying to scam me?

(7 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 22-Jun-11 21:12:10

I got a paypal?? email saying I have funds, guy's name and everthing. I checked paypal and sure enough it's there?? I haven't sold anything lately though?? Only for £7.50. I forwarded email to paypal but if it's in my acc. not sure what's going on?

fergoose Wed 22-Jun-11 21:17:16

if the money is in your paypal account then it is genuine

I guess the buyer put in the wrong email address

Go to paypal, click on the payment and then hit refund

Add a note saying you think they have made a mistake

Curiousmama Wed 22-Jun-11 21:20:00

ok thanks i've heard of allsorts of scams.

80sbabe Wed 22-Jun-11 23:04:48

I can't see where the scam would be if they have actually sent you money and it is in your paypal account.

Paypal is anonymous so they can't see your account details.
Unless the email has an external link asking for your password and username it is, as fergoose says, more than likely just an honest mistake.

The details should say what the payment is for and where it has come from.

The best thing to do is return the payment and query it.

Curiousmama Wed 22-Jun-11 23:39:42

There were no details of what the payment is for? Just some myspace link on the email? I've refunded anyway. I just remember someone once saying that they'd had a small amount paid into their account and it was some scam? Not sure if I read it in a newspaper though? Anyway hopefully that's the end of it?

80sbabe Thu 23-Jun-11 00:09:14

There were no details on paypal in your account ?
Then yes that does sound a bit strange. Normally you'd see a blurb and the type of payment.
Paypal emails do not contain links to MySpace as far as I know - just a link to see the actual transaction on their own site.

You have done the correct thing to refund anyway.

If you haven't sold or bought anything recently and you don't personally recognise the sender it does sound peculiar.
If it was a mistake they will realise and resend it to the correct person.

Curiousmama Thu 23-Jun-11 08:04:44

I know that's what was odd?? I sent the email to spoofpaypal and have refunded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now