Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

potential lost item

(6 Posts)
allthefires Mon 20-Jun-11 19:51:41

Item sent 13th June via 2nd class recorded. Still saying posted at x office and is being progressed through our system.

Would you be concerned yet?

Thinking the buyer must be wondering where it is (they do have tracking number as input into summary and I think ebay sends them an email?)

What counts as a working day too? Royal mail says 15 working days.

I assume if not receive I refund buyer and put a claim in. Would this be price I sold it at or cost of replacement item?

MrsSchue Mon 20-Jun-11 20:43:09

Firstly, you don;t need to do ANYTHING unless the buyer contacts you and says the item hasn't arrived. I know from experience that the RM system tells lies - it says parcels are still in the system AFTER I have received feedback from the buyer saying how wonderful the item is and how swift the delivery! So don't panic until you have to.

Working days would be Mon-Fri.

Yes, if it doesn't appear you need to put a claim in, personally I claim for the amount I sold it for plus postage, but I sell second hand clothes which would be difficult to put a 'replacement' price on. I suppose if you were selling, for example, a DVD still sealed, you could potentially claim for the retail value...

allthefires Mon 20-Jun-11 21:42:47

Thank you. I'll put it out of my mind for a bit unless buyer contacts me.

Good for have clarification on working days too.

80sbabe Mon 20-Jun-11 23:38:51

Agree with MrsSchue - also worth bearing in mind that if a recorded delivery item is not delivered the Post Office only keep it for a week before returning it. That usually takes another week or so.
They only show as delivered when they have a signature otherwise you get the "progressing through the network" blurb.

I have had a few where the buyer was not in for delivery, a note was not left by the postie and then they were returned to me. It's a pain to be honest when that happens.

Wait and see what happens, if it is returned to you contact the buyer and arrange another delivery and let them know to contact you if it's not with them in 3-4 days. In my experience 2nd class does not usually take more than 4 days to arrive.

I also only use recorded delivery for items worth £35 or more - the post is very reliable as a general rule and non recorded items are kept at a sorting office for longer for some ridiculous reason.

navyblueknickers Tue 21-Jun-11 11:37:41

Due to DH's business we receive a lot of tracked post, but only sign for about half of it - it's frequently just put in the post box. We also send a fair amount, and even though we know it's been delivered, the tracking system says it's still in the system.

I now rarely use recorded for this reason

allthefires Thu 23-Jun-11 08:01:42

Thank you everyone. No one has contacted so I will out it out of my mind and not worry. Just make sure I keep proof of posting very safe!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: