Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

I've got my first dissatisfied customer.

(23 Posts)
Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 17:52:28

Me again, can you tell I'm new to this?

I listed this item
cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230627204924&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

I have now had this email today
"hi there: received the ff shorts today, and a bit disappointed. they seem faded and quite well worn, which is not how they were described in your advert.

i feel a little misled, and that i have paid more than i would, had i known their condition.

i wanted to offer you the opportunity to respond, before leaving feedback"

Now I know I only wore these shorts ONCE as they looked HORRIBLE on and I consigned them to the bad impulse bad pile in my wardrobe. In fact if this went to trial I would win, apart from the stain which I described and showed they were in perfect condition.

HOWEVER on ebay the buyer is King, so how much would you usually offer to refund? Is there a basic percentage most ebayers use? I am tempted to say fine please return them and I will refund you but I can't afford a negative as I've only just started selling stuff.

LESSON LEARNT: Never describe something as perfect condition, even if it is.

TIA

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 18:07:16

no - do not offer a partial refund.

tell the buyer they have only been worn once, but if she is unhappy then send them back.

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 18:09:04

ps. i agree - i never state perfect/good condition as I think it is so subjective.

Also many buyers will angle for a partial refund - often after buyers remorse. Also her bit about giving you opportunity to resolve first before feedback could be construed as feedback extortion.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 09-Jun-11 18:10:17

I would say "I've only worn them once and I will be delighted to have them back to re-sell if they're not suitable"

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 18:11:40

Thank you for your advice, if she says she is going to send them back do I need to refund her the postage?

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 18:13:22

"I would say "I've only worn them once and I will be delighted to have them back to re-sell if they're not suitable""

Laurie would she be able to leave negative feedback if I did this, or does the transaction just get cancelled?

CliffTumble Thu 09-Jun-11 18:13:34

Make her send them back. I did this with some perfectly good boden stuff and sold it as a second chance offer. A lot of buyers are on the con because so many sellers refund and let the buyer keep the item.

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 18:14:52

no you don't have to refund her postage - but she will probably get stroppy if you don't. It is up to you but if you feel they are correctly described then you don't have to.

Don't let her blackmail you into not giving a neg - you could bend over backwards and give her everything and still get a neg anyway!

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 18:15:35

And no, the transaction isn't cancelled if she returns them and she can still leave you a neg.

CliffTumble Thu 09-Jun-11 18:16:34

If she blackmails you report her to.eBay

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 18:18:00

I get the chance to reply to a neg anyway don't I? So I can always say I offered a refund but she declined if she does neg me.

thanks for all your replies.

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 18:21:11

yes you can reply. just keep everything polite, calm and businesslike.

You may find she decides to keep them anyway

aswellasyou Thu 09-Jun-11 19:04:40

If she does send them back, you can refund her money through PayPal and then cancel the transaction on eBay. You then get your eBay fees back. I did this the other day because there was a miniscule hole in something I sold. So miniscule that it took me a few more looks before I could see it, but it's taught me to be really particular about checking for damage.

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 19:34:11

thanks for the replies I have responded that I am sorry she feels the item has been inaccurately described and if she returns them I will refund her money. Waiting on her now.

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 20:26:02

She has replied:
"can you clarify whether this will include the cost of delivery and return to you"

Argh, I just feel she has changed her mind (or discovered that they look awful on her as well), major companies don't refund P&P so I just don't see why ebay sellers should. Would offering to refund one of the postage costs be a compromise?

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 20:29:01

you have to refund all of her original payment which includes the p&p - she is asking you to also pay for the return postage p&p

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 20:31:40

ah ok. well if I have to I have to. thanks fergoose I thought she meant P&P both ways but she just means the return. Will agree to pay the actual postage but not any extra.

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 21:30:38

Sorry Fergoose but the seller wants me to clarify that I will refund her the original P&P. Is it if she opens a dispute I have to refund original p&p but if we agree this amongst ourselves I can refuse to refund her original p&P?

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 21:37:49

no - you will always have to refund all of her money - this includes her original p&p

the return p&p is her responsibility

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 21:44:49

ok I'm guessing she doesn't know that then. I am just going to refund her everything and call her names to the laptop (mature I know)

thanks for your help.

fergoose Thu 09-Jun-11 21:46:34

do not refund her until you receive your item back though

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 21:49:31

ah that I have already stated, and I am asking her (and paying) so she sends recorded delivery.

Librashavinganotherbiscuit Thu 09-Jun-11 21:49:52

opps sorry. that should have included. "but thanks again smile "

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: