Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Help! Paypal scam!! What to do?

(12 Posts)
Polkadott Sun 05-Jun-11 11:30:31

Okay so a couple of weeks ago I sold a few items on ebay. Had around £3 left in account. Rest was sent to bank and had been spent. fine as planned.

Today I log onto my email and find 5 emails from 'paypal' that were all sent yesterday. They were titled 'notification of cancelled withdrawal', 2 daying 'temp hold pending investigation' and 2 'we're investigating'.

The 1st claimed that my account is negative by £816.81.

The 2nd & 3rd email says:

Recently, PayPal received a notification from a user regarding unauthorised access to his PayPal account. As a result, one of the payments credited to your PayPal account has been placed in a temporary hold while we investigate the claim. PayPal constantly monitors transactions for unauthorised use of accounts in order to maintain the safety of our users.

The details of this transaction are as follows:

Transaction Date: 2 Jun 2011
Transaction Amount: 842.00 GBP
Buyer's Email: NORMAL1STNAME*@higherwiscombe.com

Ans the 4th & 5th say:

An unauthorised account activity claim was recently filed against the
following transaction.

Buyer's name: his name
Buyer's email: normal1stname*@higherwiscombe.com
Transaction ID: 5TH91944B6790445P

Transaction date: 30 May 2011
Transaction amount: 778.00 GBP
Your transaction ID: 5D67451154942925H
Case number: PP-001-331-112-545

We need additional information from you within the next 7 days. Please log
in to your PayPal account and go to the Resolution Centre to see the
details of this case. There, you can enter any information regarding this
case that will help us fight the reversal on your behalf.

I have not sent any money and do not know the person named.

I know for a fact that
1. there is no money in the bank account linked to paypal.
2. It cannot become overdrawn.

What do I do?

I've logged onto paypal through a seperate window. This 'transactions' came up and said by balance is -£700+

I read something about a paypal scam recently on here so I've been careful not to do much.

OH and when I logged in it came up with a notice saying I'm approaching my £1,900 income limit for this year. Is this related?

What should I do? Ring paypal?

Polkadott Sun 05-Jun-11 11:33:31

Please, anybody? BUMP

Malvapoeding Sun 05-Jun-11 11:34:16

Ring Paypal and speak to a person, they are very helpful.

Polkadott Sun 05-Jun-11 11:44:42

I can't find the number to ring them, I'm really worried a flustered! does anybody have it?

fannybaws Sun 05-Jun-11 12:05:18

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK TO LOG IN, IT IS PROB A SCAM EMAIL. sorry caps, open a seperate window and log into paypal there.

fannybaws Sun 05-Jun-11 12:05:46

hopefully there wont be anything wrong

fannybaws Sun 05-Jun-11 12:08:41

if there is something wrong, go to the help page, at the bottom there is a link to contact them by phone or email.

fannybaws Sun 05-Jun-11 12:11:02

Sorry just read youe email again, hungover emotion, and realise you have logged in properly.
Hope you are on the phone to them smile

Malvapoeding Sun 05-Jun-11 12:13:08

08707 307 191

is the number - if you log in to paypal in a new window then go to the help tab then click on security issue and the call us tab - they will give you a security code and details you will need for them to process your call quickly.

Polkadott Mon 06-Jun-11 07:59:48

Thank you so much ladies

Polkadott Mon 06-Jun-11 08:41:43

Future reference to ANYBODY who might get this.

I couldn't find a security issue option so I 'asked louise' who gave me number and security code.

The call took about 15 minutes and i spoke to two very helpful ladies that said somebody has acessed my account and tried to withdraw £700 to his bank account, but no money has been taken from my account. Their fraud team are investigating it and will email me shortly, I am relieved.

Thank you so much again for helping me, was so worried.

Malvapoeding Mon 06-Jun-11 10:23:53

I am so glad you have it sorted. Paypal are really on the ball at the moment. The froze my account when someone in South Korea tried to pay for a car on eBay with my accounthmm it took a phonecall to them and within days they had it sorted and my account safe and reactivated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now