Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

No bids on my lovely wardrobe, is ebay not good for big furniture?

(26 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:08:30

I'm trying to sell a gorgeous shabby chic white wardrobe. Had a starting price of £45 and no reserve. It cost me £190 (second hand) and I thought it was a bargain at that price it is so nice. I had 4 watchers and no bids.

Had a nice photo, detailed description with measurements, etc.

Is it worth relisting or do I give up and try the newsagents. Local paper is crap and charge £10 an ad and nothing ever sells anyway so not doing that.

I can see me having to skip it which would be criminal. sad

CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 29-May-11 18:09:47

dont skip it, freecycle it.

to be honest, I dont think bank holiday weekend is very good for selling items.

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:10:46

Did you have it ending on the right day and time? I mean at the weekend?

Perhaps your start price was too high

I woudl start at £10 and have a buy it now price

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:11:44

Ah, never thought about it being BH.

Might try it again then.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:12:46

I had a buy it now price of £195 and it ended this morning at about 10;00am. I didn't want to put the start price any lower as I'd be very annoyed if someone got it for £10. grin

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:15:41

But you only paid £190 and now its third hand

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:17:15

Well there's not really any difference in second hand or third hand - its solid wood, not some flakey flat pack so condition is exactly the same. And the starting price was £45 so someone could have had it for that.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:17:58

I think its antique, I bought it in an antique shop.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:19:32

Well old anyway. The link is here, btw how do you turn ebay photos round?

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250824116524&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISSU:GB:1123

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:20:40

I think you might need to be a bit more realistic about what folk are prepared to pay on ebay

It's a buyers market. I personally look for bargains on ebay and £190 sounds a lot for even an antique wardrobe

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:24:03

I get what you're saying and I do agree that £190 might not have been very realistic but surely £45 is? I just hoped that someone might see it and love it so much that they'd pay the BIN price. But if not then I'm suprised noone went for it at £45.

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:24:10

Well you need to relist and turn the pic in your photo mangement online before you post it. The sideways pics might have deterred some potentials

From the picture that looks like a 1940's wardrobe that someone has put a bit of chicken wire and gingham in to shabby chic it up
this is more shabby chic IMO

personally I think you are asking a bit too much for the style of wardrobe and <whispers> might have paid too much in the first place....

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:25:24

Did you see it says £200 delivery in the ad too? Altho at the bottom you said pick up only

noddyholder Sun 29-May-11 18:25:48

I think that is worth about 50 second hand. It is an old wardrobe repainted and tbh a lot of people DIY that sort of thing. Don't skip it give it to someone who would love it x

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:26:12

grin

I maybe did pay too much in market value terms but to me it was worth every penny as I really like it. I like it more than the one you posted which is £!99 starting price. But I guess noone else felt the same. Will relist, thanks.

hallowedbethyname Sun 29-May-11 18:26:55

You really need to put more (and better) photos on. I wouldn't bid on anything that I couldn't see properly.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:27:13

I put £200 delivery to deter people asking me to post/sort out a carrier. Ebay said I had to offer postage and specify a price. Thats why I put in the ad pick up only.

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:27:18

Good Luck! You must have got a few £££ worth of use out of it, so forget what you paid in the first place and just try to make a bit of money on it

SycamoretreeIsVile Sun 29-May-11 18:29:07

You need to put a better photo in and the right way round. More angles etc.

You'd be surprised how much that would put off a buyer. It's not just the fact that you have to crick your neck to look at it, it's the psychology of who you think you're buying off (sorry) - I might think if you can't upload the photo properly you might not be the kind of seller who will make the sale go smoothly. Not entirely rational, but this is how people make decisions subconsciously. Put it back on with a £30 quid starting bid and no buy it now as £195 is too high and also psychologically puts people off (they don't bid as they imagine other buyers know something they don't and it will reach near that price).

cyb Sun 29-May-11 18:29:33

If you type in delivery £0 at the bottom when it asks you for postage costs you list your ad it lets you do pick up only

I'm no ebay expert btw..I sold a trampoline and listed it as 10 ft only to be told by the girl who bought it that its actually an 8 ft!!

She discovered this fact as she was assembling it after her elderly Dad had driven 200 miles to deliver it to her.

So I'm sending her her money back

SycamoretreeIsVile Sun 29-May-11 18:31:17

And also yes, amend your delivery price. It looks like your trying to rip people off so they have run a mile. They don't know your reasoning behind that whopping great price. You can definitely put an option of FREE and make it clear in your advert that it's for sale as a collection only item. Good luck.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 29-May-11 18:35:22

Great, never thought about putting £0 for delivery price. Duh. Will definetly sort that and do a betetr photo and a lower buy it now price.

It probably doesn't help that I'm gutted to see it go but DD has her heart set on a triple wardrobe and I have nowhere to put this one.

Curiousmama Mon 30-May-11 13:22:20

That's a really bad listing sorry. Can you get someone to help you? You need a few pics the right way round. Do you know anyone who sells on ebay to help?
I find Ad trader good for furniture btw. Plus it's free to list afaik?

ninedragons Tue 31-May-11 14:22:00

I think you need lots of photos - close-up of the fabric, configuration of shelves/drawers/rails inside. If possible, take them in natural light - your photo looks a bit dingy. And you must rotate the photo, as everyone else has said - I find sideways photos irrationally annoying and think the people who do them are either lazy or incompetent.

You might consider putting your town or the first half of your postcode in your listing title, too, so anyone near you is at least tempted to click on your link. And add the height, too.

If you can, get everything else out of the shot (is that a toy hanging thing beside it?). You need to go for clean, uncluttered, professional mood in your photos.

PinotGrigiosKittens Tue 31-May-11 14:25:04

With the greatest of respect, you need to reassess your bids/BIN. It is a 3rd hand wardrobe with no distinguishing features. I'd start at a tenner personally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: