Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What's the most unlikely thing you've sold?

(13 Posts)
starrychime Thu 19-May-11 18:27:14

Friend encouraged me to start eBaying and I have sold a couple of things. She said 'folk really do buy any old thing, start putting your stuff on'. So I did but the items are quite 'normal' - toys and CDs etc. I do have a huge amount of stuff though and wondered how likely it is that someone would see it let alone bid - there must be millions of items on there - do you think the number of users makes it likely that whatever you're trying to sell, someone will be looking for one?

Ladyface Thu 19-May-11 18:31:40

I sold a plastic bag from the 1970s for .99p. It went to a props department of a film studio.

starrychime Thu 19-May-11 18:37:13

Just randomly looked at coat hangers there - have a whole wardrobe full of empty ones after clearling out a relative's clothes and folk actually are bidding on them <plans to fill a box with hangers next time I go there>

theanimalswentintwobytwo Fri 20-May-11 19:48:52

An old school recorder
1960's floor polisher
baby sham glasses

Salam Thu 26-May-11 09:04:50

My hair! It was very long and I chopped it down to shoulder length. Sold it for around £40. A wig company bought it, so my hair is now a wig on someone's head smile

Vix1980 Thu 26-May-11 17:37:33

sad at not knowing i could sell my hair, i had it cut a couple of weeks ago!

FluffyHamster Thu 26-May-11 17:47:19

Our old kitchen - for £3,000! shock

Really nice man came and dismantled it all too, which saved us about £500 of the builders' time...

PoppaRob Fri 27-May-11 10:38:04

An old saddle from a Fender guitar. I bet a mate it'd go for more than US$20 and it went for US$42. Its intrinsic worth was probably a couple of dollars but people go crazy over antique stuff on eBay.

Machin11 Tue 31-May-11 20:53:36

Two non working tamagotchi's that were scratched, Hubby said to bin then, I said no way, listed them for 50p, was really honest explained that they were scratched and didnt turn on and although I believed that was because the battery had ran out, I wasn't sure and they both went sold as seen!! I had 21 bids on them and sold them for £23, I was so embarrased I held onto the cash for ages expecting a complaint but I got glowing feedback!!!

TooManyBlossoms Tue 31-May-11 20:55:47

2 ikea Cath Kidston-esque pillow cases - used - went for £22. Ridiculous!

Meglet Tue 31-May-11 21:08:48

machin I'm sure I have an old tamagotchi somewhere. This is an incentive to tidy up my loft!

I sold 240 x 1990 - 2000's Vogue magazines for £240 quid. I expected to get a few quid but not that much! They were bought by an antique dealer, I thought his car suspension was going to break when he loaded them into his car. I still have a few hundred vogues I can sell if I fall on hard times grin.

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 03-Jun-11 16:59:15

a miniature ornamental teapot which could have been bought new for £35 sold for £180!

Paschaelina Fri 03-Jun-11 17:03:30

the original tape player from an N-reg peugeot 206 for £11 to some bloke in Germany last year.

Why would anyone want it? its not as if the 206 is a classic restoration project.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: