Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How long should a refund take?

(10 Posts)
Boozilla Tue 04-Jan-11 11:53:24

Bought a game as a Christmas present for my brother and when it arrived it was not working. I emailed the seller and he asked whether I had put a battery in hmm.

He then apologised and said he was just selling for some friends and didn't know it was broken. (In his description he said it was in fantastic condition.)

I returned it and can see from the tracking that it was delivered on the 22nd Dec, but I still haven't received my refund. I sent one message on Dec 30th politely asking whether he had received it but have had no reply.

I'm also going to ask for return postage now as I spent nearly £7 in return postage costs. I paid £50 so am anxious to get my funds back!

How long should a refund take?
Thanks!

Boozilla Tue 04-Jan-11 13:39:49

hopeful bump - any guidance? Thanks!

tutu100 Tue 04-Jan-11 16:22:46

The seller can instantly refund your money once they recieve the item back. I would send a final email politely asking for your refund as you can see from the tracking number that they have recieved the item back. Say that if you have not recieved your refund within 48 hrs you will open a dispute through ebay.

If they still don't refund your money open the dispute and ebay will refund you your money as you can prove you've returned the item. They will refund your original postage, but they probably won't refund your return postage.

If the guy is a decent seller he will refund yoiur return postage.

classydiva Tue 04-Jan-11 17:15:08

Refunds are instant if you paid via PayPal funds if you funded by card they take up to 48 hours to go back on your card.

Go to the transaction in PayPal and click on it, scroll down does it say refunded? If not open a dispute via the resolution centre for item not as described, put in it returned and the tracking number and escalate to a claim immediately.

classydiva Tue 04-Jan-11 17:15:36

Dont open the dispute through eBay open it through the Resolution Centre in PayPal.

ChickFlit Tue 04-Jan-11 17:21:10

Can someone explain what happens when you open a dispute through Paypal.

We bought a non working Sky Plus box from a guy on Ebay. We emailed him immediately and said we'd send it back but would want the postage back. He emailed back and said would refund no need to send it back if it was broken. We've emailed him three times since then and heard nothing, we opened a dispute through Paypal yesterday but this is the first time in years of Ebaying that we've had to do this, so are a bit lost. What happens next?

Boozilla Tue 04-Jan-11 17:49:39

I paid by paypal, transaction not showing as refunded as yet so he's obviously ignoring me!

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt over the Christmas period with holidays and all that but think he's taking the piss slightly now!
Thanks for the advice!

classydiva Tue 04-Jan-11 19:18:50

Click fit.

You escalate the dispute to a claim immediatley, the seller gets ten days to respond, after ten days, it goes to PayPal to decide, generally PayPal always find in favour of the buyer, they tell you to return it trackable at your own expense to the seller, you input the tracking into PayPal if required to do so. They then see it has been returned and refund you from the sellers PayPal account.

Booz he is ignoring you, if you corresponded by eBay messages go via the eBay dispute process sometimes it is quicker and they can see the messages back and forth between you and the seller.

ChickFlit Sun 16-Jan-11 18:24:00

Thanks for the advice Classydiva I did exactly what you said. Paypal took it up with the seller who didn't bother to respond to them so they refunded my account the full amount today.

Many thanks for your help.

FabbyChic Sun 16-Jan-11 19:29:09

Glad you got your refund. Good times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now