Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

what have you sold that you thought no one would want.

(27 Posts)
pud1 Sat 13-Nov-10 22:08:43

i have just sold 2 broken tomtoms. i chucked them on the wheelie bin then checked if they sell on ebay. i saw a few go for about 20 pounds so i gave it a go. got 38 pounds each for them. am in shock.

mogs0 Sat 13-Nov-10 22:16:20

That's great! I'm often amazed at the prices I get for some of my things.

stressheaderic Sun 14-Nov-10 22:39:42

I have sold a small faded elephant figure from the zoo and a beaded purse in the shape of a frog. It really takes all sorts.

Also sold a (what I thought was) cheap denim mini skirt and it went for £15 so was most chuffed.

TheBigZing Sun 14-Nov-10 22:46:36

I sold a joke glove that makes you look like you are holding an arm that has been sawn off at the wrist, bloody stump and all, only the hand is actually your own so you can move your fingers. Got about £7 for it iirc.

maxybrown Sun 14-Nov-10 22:50:53

My dads old record cabinet that he got for his 18th birthday - they asked us if we wouldn't mind taking it to the tip shock he got £70 for it grin

Sierra19 Mon 15-Nov-10 13:03:27

Broken GHD hair straighteners. Got about £50 for them.

notcitrus Fri 19-Nov-10 08:34:30

A novelty Japanese toy toilet that when you flush it a singing poo jumps up. It was a gift...

Also broken Walkmans, and a hideous Moet & Chandon handbag which turned out to be a champagne cooler.

pud1 Fri 19-Nov-10 15:39:28

your toy toilet sounds like something my dad would but me thinking it was funny

lljkk Fri 19-Nov-10 19:59:13

The thing that bewilders me is the stuff that sells for pennies on Ebay but if you offer it on Freecycle people go beserk trying to get you to choose them to receive it; I'll get emails from half-way across the county for something that can be bought for 3 quid on Ebay plus postage... and at least on Ebay you have some comeback if it doesn't work!

mogs0 Sat 20-Nov-10 08:51:40

I currently have an item listed that has been on ebay twice before over the last coupld of years and ended with no bids despite a 99p start. It is now up to £33 shock and still has a few hours to go.

ragged Sat 20-Nov-10 10:19:03

Could you link to it, mogs?

mogs0 Sat 20-Nov-10 10:21:07

This

LynetteScavo Sat 20-Nov-10 10:24:57

A pink velour Pineapple tracksuit.

I bought it cheap from TK MAXX to wear to a fancy dress party as Chantel, when she was in the BB house.

Bidders were fighting over it. I ended up making a massive profit. confused

The person who won it sent me several emails in which she called me Hun and Babe. grin

misdee Sat 20-Nov-10 10:27:13

an old calculator. dh started the listing 50p for a lauigh. just a bog standard calculator. sold for £26!!

we thought it was odd when we started getting questions for model numbers etc. but just went shock at £26.

babynoah Sat 20-Nov-10 19:22:40

8 babycham glasses £37 quid. but the best one was an autoharp/zither, bought for £25 on ebay. 12 months later sold for...wait for it... £270!!!!

oooggs Sat 20-Nov-10 19:26:31

a very tired cement mixer - which had most definatley seen better days (but worked) was going to take it to the tip but thought it might go for 99p on ebay to save us trying to get it in the car. Sold for £80 shock gobsmaked!

DirtyMartini Sat 20-Nov-10 19:28:00

mogs0: Xmas party upper-arm panic season. There's your answer.

DirtyMartini Sat 20-Nov-10 19:29:40

babynoah grin Like a lottery win!

PercyPigPie Sat 20-Nov-10 19:32:19

Dh's brother's old jacket. His parents asked me to sell it (and keep the profit), expecting it to go for a few pounds and it went for about £400 - felt I had to give the money back to them!

ninedragons Mon 29-Nov-10 11:40:11

A broken fountain pen - I was going to chuck it and thought maybe someone would buy it for parts - went for about $100.

And a scabby old Persian rug I had bought at a flea market for about $20. It ended up with so many watchers and so many people offering to buy it now that I took it to a rug gallery just in case it was a valuable antique. It wasn't, so I let the auction continue, and it went for about $600 IIRC.

geoffwhite247 Mon 29-Nov-10 12:44:49

I sold a pair of brake levers for a 1985 bicycle - despite the fact they're nicknamed "suicide brakes" due to their ineffectiveness (something I was quite honest about in the listing!)

mippy Sun 02-Jan-11 14:14:01

I bought two Strawberry Shortcake mugs on Oxfam, thinking I might get £5 for each from retro nostalgists. One went for £3, which was disappointing. The second went for...£75. Two American bidders were fighting over it for some reason.

NappyShedSal Sun 02-Jan-11 21:40:26

Some plasterboard left over from our loft conversion.

My DH massively overorded the plasterboard so we had loads left over. We offered it to our builders - they didn't want it. We offered it to the plasterer - he didn't want it. We put it on Freecycle - nobody wanted it. Put it on ebay for 99p thinking it might save us the trip to the tip. It went for £56 which was more than it costs in B&Q and teh person drove a van from Kent to Oxfordshire to pick it up. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

5inthebed Sun 02-Jan-11 21:43:06

I sold a horrible flowery dress I had bought from TKMaxx for 50p for £24.50! I was amazed as it really was horrid, bought it for a fancy dress party, went as Hilda Ogden from Corrie. It had some designer lable in it, but was viscouse (sp?).

Most bizarre.

TheBibiJesus Sun 02-Jan-11 21:45:10

DH listed a really ugly teddy I had given to me, it had purple and blue spiked fur and a wonky face, listed it as "Hideous teddy" and it went for about a tenner!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: