Talk

Advanced search

How to Bring Up Possible ED with GP

(7 Posts)
UnravellingThreads Sun 18-Aug-19 20:35:39

Background: I'm almost certainly autistic and have depression/anxiety, which has become less and less well managed (have recently changed ADs to see if it helps, though I'm not hopeful). We've had a quite stressful time as a family the last few months.

At the beginning of the year my youngest was messing around with the bathroom scales and asked me to weigh myself. I discovered I was the heaviest I'd been since having my oldest and at the very high end of healthy.

I started to become a bit more aware of what I was eating and how much I was moving vs. sitting and lost weight in a relatively healthy way at a pretty slow rate for a few months.

At some point - I'm not sure when - the weight loss started to accelerate a bit and I liked it and started skipping meals to watch it continue.

I started weighing myself more often and told myself it was to make sure I didn't overdo it...

I'm 5' 5 and my scales are pretty inaccurate but I think I'm a couple of pounds under eight stone now.

But I want to keep losing weight.

I have a GP appointment on Tuesday to review my ADs and I know I should bring this up but I don't know if I can.

I also feel like focusing on this and having this one element of control is the only thing stopping my depression from completely consuming me.

TheOrigFV45 Mon 19-Aug-19 14:42:57

I just said "I'm having some problems with my eating", and he then took the lead, gently asking questions.
Referred me straight to the ED team.
You could write down what you want to say - or just print out you OP.

Good luck.

UnravellingThreads Mon 19-Aug-19 15:32:27

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, it turns out I'm going to have to take the kids to my appointment tomorrow. I don't think I'll be able to mention it with them there. It will be hard enough trying to subtly talk about my depression and ADs, let alone anything more.

Star8181 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:31:50

How old are they? I had to take mine with to the GP last week and didn’t think it was appropriate for them to be in the room so I took iPads with headphones and they sat in the reception area. Is this an option?

UnravellingThreads Mon 19-Aug-19 17:48:15

How old are they? I had to take mine with to the GP last week and didn’t think it was appropriate for them to be in the room so I took iPads with headphones and they sat in the reception area. Is this an option?

They're seven and five and also both autistic. I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving them in reception. They're mostly pretty mature for their ages but when the five year old gets overloaded he just bolts.

TheOrigBrave Wed 21-Aug-19 13:33:57

How did your appointment go OP?

UnravellingThreads Wed 21-Aug-19 13:55:12

How did your appointment go OP?

I'm an idiot. In the end, I got a phone call cancelling it because the doctor was ill and it was rescheduled for today.

The fact it was today meant I went by myself because it's first day of school here (Scotland) so I had the opportunity to mention it. She even specifically asked how my eating was.

I paused for the longest time and willed myself to say something but in the end all I could manage was 'not great' and she moved on.

I have an increase in AD dosage but I doubt it's going to do much.

Thank you for asking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »