Talk

Advanced search

Advice from people who've been there...

(3 Posts)
iN33danap Fri 26-Apr-19 13:18:56

Hi

My friend is going into an EDU soon for treatment and I just want to know the kind of things I should/shouldn't say in support. I want the best for her and it's going to be s difficult tine.

TIA smile

Equimum Fri 26-Apr-19 20:58:42

It’s been a while for me, and everyone is different but I would say the biggest no-no is to comment on her changing appearance. I hated even the most positive comments, and especially people telling me I looked better. Take her lead in this, though, some people might eventually like being told they look healthier.

Going into an EDU can be really hard and often causes people to experience heightened emotions. Some people will even shut others out. The most helpful thing for me was having friends who continued to send me letters, small gifts, postcards etc, even when I didn’t respond, or perhaps hadn’t been very pleasant to them. Mostly, though, I really appreciated the friends who stuck by me. If you are close enough, and she wants you to, regular visits would really help too.

I hope her treatment goes well. It sound like she a very caring friend, and that will go a long way.

iN33danap Fri 26-Apr-19 21:14:03

@Equimum

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing that experience. I hope you're recovering is continuing to go as you hope.
That's very helpful to know. I'll take her lead deffo, it's taken time for her to open up but in the nicest way possible I'm not bothered about her going in (as in I don't think her weird or off her rocker) I just want her to feel like she's supported no matter what.

flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »