Talk

Advanced search

Bulimia is back

(42 Posts)
lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 18:53:22

I've not had the urge to do this for months and thought I'd turned a corner. Had a massive trigger this weekend and bulimia has returned. I'm so upset. I've not even thought about doing this for so long, I was starting to think I could cope without it. And now it's back. I don't do it for weight loss, it's purely emotional and I know more or less what triggers it (which is not something I can control so can't change that). I feel so low so just wanted a chat. Does anyone else have this kind of recurring bulimia?

TeaForTheWin Sun 07-Apr-19 19:36:53

Well I guess it would be less to throw up at least xD but lol no, please eat plenty. That way at least if it comes up, hopefully you will have absorbed some nutrients from something first.

Maybe try find some good films to watch...or heck get addicted to gaming or something xD I found if I was engrossed in something else it helped. If you know you purge more at night, maybe make a point of having plans to do something else?

lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 19:37:19

@LetsGroove2nite I missed your post, sorry. I will look up that disorder, thank you.

TeaForTheWin Sun 07-Apr-19 19:38:50

Not that it'll stop ya of course. But maybe some other bad habits will lessen the time you have 'in your own head' and so lessen the times you need to purge.

Wish I could suggest something better. Maybe that's the ocd in me still, looking to fix things haha.

TellySavalashairbrush Sun 07-Apr-19 19:39:54

You mustn’t lose sight of all that you’ve achieved. You said that generally you’re eating better and enjoying exercise which is great. I have an eating disorder and have done on and off for more than 20 years. I’ve just been referred for therapy again, but now in my mid 40s I finally seem to be realising just how low my self worth Is and how much I let other people’s attitudes and behaviours affect me. Today is a tough day for you, don’t beat yourself up about it but do think about ways to work on your self worth and gaining the ability to worry less about others. All the best to you.

lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 19:41:54

Thanks Tea. Normally I DO have a night time thing which keeps me focused (and not even thinking about B/P. But a recent event turned things upside down and then my usual trigger happened so the two things combined has really knocked me. I really really want to go back to my routine.

lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 19:46:42

Thank you Telly.
I'm like you in that my self worth is pretty dreadful. It's getting better and I'm learning to care less about other people's snarky comments, criticisms of me, dislike of me etc or whatever it might be. But it means I tend to prefer being alone more and more. People stress me out. People politics and all that.

TeaForTheWin Sun 07-Apr-19 19:53:45

I've learned that a lot of people are assholes, like majorly (so many cluster b personalities about these days). Walking around without compassion or empathy for other humans. So now when people are nasty I pretty much think 'it's their issue'. Because normal people aren't cruel to other people, disordered individuals are. And I might have spent a vast amount of my time washing my hands over the years, but anyone without empathy is a damn sight crazier than I or we will ever be.

lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 20:00:59

Brilliant attitude! When I'm feeling 'healthy' I can totally get in that mindset. People who make me feel bad...get away from me! But then when I'm delicate again I can really spend hours questioning why that person said what they did and what does it say about me. But really it's their perception of me, and their insecurity or issue if they feel the need to say something mean. It doesn't make it true.

cactuswatcher Sun 07-Apr-19 20:08:19

I really feel for you. I have been struggling with eating disorders for 6 years, from anorexia to bulimia now so I understand exactly how you feel. Slip ups will happen but you need to think of this as a one off rather than getting back into the habit and the binge purge cycle. I know how hard it is and how awful the loss of control is, (especially as I loved How in control I was with anorexia) but you have to focus on not doing it and realise all the bad things it does to you!!! X

lapsedagain Sun 07-Apr-19 20:10:06

I have a problem calling people out on it though, I rarely confront. I just avoid if someone does that to me. Are you the same? Wish I could stick up for myself more. I want to be a positive role model for my kids and don't want them learning to be a doormat.

TeaForTheWin Sun 07-Apr-19 23:18:02

Sometimes the best thing you can do is run. I do confront (I have a bit of a hairline trigger for these sorts now) and it's usually a big mistake.

Cause these sorts A. Love to go after anyone they think is a weak target and B. Need to go after anyone who stands up to them. Best to get away as soon as you cotton on. Sometimes the most positive thing you can do is not hang about. It's not like anything we do will change them afterall. I think their 'toxic' is more likely to drag us down :/ Teaching our little ones how to spot the signs of these sorts of people is probably a better move.

lapsedagain Tue 09-Apr-19 16:47:53

I had a look at borderline personality disorder/emotionally unstable personality disorder on Mind's site.
It's interesting because I relate to the symptoms of it, but not the causes. I had no traumatic childhood events (that I recall), and there is no one in my family with and MH issues (that I know of).
I have been racking my brains for the WHY of all of this, and don't understand it. I really want to and delve a little deeper but can't do that on my own.
I know when I feel most vulnerable & do my best to distract myself. It's tough though, being left alone with my thoughts. I would like to be happy on my own without constantly having coping mechanisms and distractions in place.

Cottonwood Tue 09-Apr-19 16:54:23

Have you tried hypnosis OP? Very powerful although I don't have direct experience of what you're going through. Hugs for you xx

lapsedagain Tue 09-Apr-19 17:02:20

No I've not. Sounds quite scary.

Cottonwood Tue 09-Apr-19 17:42:58

Do you mean hypnosis scary? Not at all, very useful tool with the right therapist.

lapsedagain Tue 09-Apr-19 20:25:56

Maybe not for me. I don't know. Just think talking to someone 1:1 will help the most. Feeling like crap. Utter crap. Have no idea what to do or who to talk to. This is not something I can talk about in RL.

mothers2019de Fri 26-Apr-19 18:21:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »