Talk

Advanced search

Any ED people who are Severe & enduring know of eating disorder treatments for this group?

(7 Posts)
Chocolate50 Sat 20-Oct-18 21:45:55

My DS has chronic anorexia bulimia for over 10 years now. He has never managed a diet outside of an eating disorder unit.
We are now giving up hope of full recovery - and he has for a very long time.
Does anyone know of treatment - preferably inpatient that offers treatment for the group of patients who are in the severe & enduring category?

Blondie1984 Mon 22-Oct-18 17:50:03

Please never give up...
The Nightingale Hospital in London offers inpatient treatment for those with long standing EDs
www.nightingalehospital.co.uk/condition/anorexia-nervosa/

Aridane Mon 22-Oct-18 20:29:26

There is or was a clinical trial in Oxford for severe and enduring anorexia involving deep brain stimulation

www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyt.2018.00024/full

Aridane Mon 22-Oct-18 20:32:40

(it is for individuals for whom everything else has failed - and who have had anorexia > 7 years)

www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/cotswoldhouse/research/deep-brain/

Chocolate50 Mon 22-Oct-18 22:46:06

Thank you. It really is one hell of a nightmare illness. Good to know that someone is looking at alternatives to treatment

Aridane Tue 23-Oct-18 14:58:55

I wish you and DS well. A friend’s daughter suffers this way and repeated inpatient admissions have not put her in remission (though I suppose they will have saved her life)

buzzingmama Thu 01-Nov-18 23:21:26

Hi, despite nightingale saying they have program for severe and enduring they dont, its nothing different to the regular program they offer. If you want any info on there, i have a lot of personal experience

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: