Talk

Advanced search

Any happy success recovery stories?

(13 Posts)
brainstormer123 Tue 08-May-18 08:54:03

I've decided after years of restrictive eating from my Anorexia I am now ready to recover. I am trying to eat more and have a proper meal plan in place and whilst I feel strong enough to start my journey I am also racked with nerves and worries. If anyone could give me some success stories of them overcoming their eating disorder and give me some words of wisdom or tips I would be very grateful! My main goal at the moment is getting my periods back (absent for about 4 years 😬) thank you in advance xx

TheIsland Wed 09-May-18 16:40:15

19 years of bulimia and 3 patches of anorexia, each lasting about 3 years.

I never thought I’d recover but I have. I commited to psychotherapy and worked fucking hard at it. I’m now recovered, happy, and can notice the situations when I would previously have engaged with an ED behaviour and name how I feel (angry, upset, jealous etc).

It can get better but I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone or if I hadn’t wanted to.

brainstormer123 Sun 13-May-18 17:45:24

Thanks for your reply! Trying really hard to focus on the positives which is tricky sometimes but I feel I have had my light bulb moment if that makes sense! I thought I'd get more replies on this actually, anyone else like to add anything??

lljkk Sun 13-May-18 17:51:42

it's too long ago for me to comment about me.
There's an anorexic lady up at swimming pool. Only she seems to be in long-term recovery. She seems so much happier in herself, her colour & muscle tone is good, & I think her spine has improved hugely. Such a relief compared to how she looked about 10 years ago.

Kid on the train, too, looked skeletal for a while. I think she got a better boyfriend & hasn't had the terrified rabbit look in her eyes for a few years, now (plus gained about 10 kg, so now is merely petite).

IamtheOrpheliac Mon 14-May-18 20:58:50

5.5 years of anorexia/restrictive EDNOS, 2-ish years of recovery. A couple of weeks ago I started a new exercise routine and realised I was doing it because I enjoyed it, not because of a compulsive need to burn calories. It was an amazing feeling!

I did psychotherapy (Acceptance and commitment), which helped a lot. I re-evaluated what I wanted to do with my life and that helped massively. I make time to sit down with myself and go through a DBT workbook and that's really helping with recognising my emotions, which is helping me to avoid using food to cope.

Situations do still come up that trigger me, but I find it much easier to move on now. My thinking is far less black and white. I can have a bad day (or two, or three), without it turning into a total spiral. There have been a few times lately where I have caught sight of my body in the mirror and thought 'hey, I look alright'. Am still aware of what I eat, but now that's more to do with making sure I'm eating enough than trying to restrict. I think the thing that helped me the most, especially in the beginning was telling myself that I was just choosing recovery today. That I knew I could restrict and lose weight if I wanted to, but for today, I was going to try recovery. Thinking in absolutes like 'this is it, I am now in recovery, I won't be like this again' used to do my head in. It made me feel like if I had a bad day I had screwed up.

It has been a slow process, it's only been in the last few months that I've really noticed how far I have come. Sometimes I still need a hand hold.

Sorry that was long! Anyway, wishing you the best of luck! Recovery is achievable.

Caribbeanyesplease Tue 19-Jun-18 21:25:19

How are you doing OP?

Was your lightbulb moment a genuine one?

LittleMissedTheSunshine Mon 16-Jul-18 19:04:34

I had BED/Bulimia for years, and have recently managed to break out of the trap by just eating really healthily and not focusing on losing weight. I made a promise not to eat sugary or processed food for a year, but not to restrict myself with the healthier foods. I do make exceptions eg if I'm eating out, but don't bring those foods into the house.

Realised that dieting was not my friend, but the enemy. And the more I tried to 'diet' (restrict) the more I ended up putting weight on but when I focused on eating healthily and nutritiously it came off all by itself.

I had severe BED for years, with periods of restricting, to the point where I opened my friends cupboard to see half a packet of biscuits and couldn't imagine what it was like to be able to eat only a few biscuits out of a packet and leave the rest. I could imagine eating none - or all - but half the packet?

Feel like I've turned a corner now.

HueyLewisandtheSpews Sun 02-Dec-18 14:53:03

Hi!
I am in my 50s now. I post usually under another name.
I had anorexia / bulimia in my late teens , early 20s.
My lightbulb moment came one day when an aunt I had not seen for a while said I was " putting on the beef". I was eating very little and exercising like crazy. It made me come to my senses then.

I have had a couple of relapses ..early 30s , late 30s.
My relapses were brought on by stress , bullying at work , and lack of control in my life , and being told I looked like a bit of pork trussed up in a butcher's window! My parents thought I had cancer I had lost so much weight. ( I am married )

I am normal healthy weight now . I do watch what I eat .
I am healthy.

I still get the urge to put my fingers down my throat when I am stressed...the last impulse was 2 weeks ago but I resisted. Another trigger for me is lack of control .
I reduce my food intake too at these times.

It is a life long battle. The impulse does not go away.
I have been reasonably lucky in managing to not succumb to the urges.

I think I am a success because I know others who have not managed to eat normally and maintain healthy weights.
However , I know I may have another episode.

Good luck to everyone .

brainstormer123 Sun 02-Dec-18 16:16:20

Huey- thank you for sharing. I'm still on my road to recovery but find it so hard and I don't know why. I feel like why can others seem to do this but not me? I will keep fighting because I know I deserve a life free of an ED, everyone does thanks

HueyLewisandthespews Sun 02-Dec-18 16:23:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HueyLewisandtheSpews Tue 04-Dec-18 06:52:45

Sorry for deleting @Brainstormer!
Name change fail .
I wish you all the best . It seems like you are heading in the right direction.

brainstormer123 Fri 07-Dec-18 09:03:40

Huey-thank you so much, that means a lot. I think I am! 😊

sushisuperstar Tue 12-Feb-19 11:04:46

This is a nice thread.

I can't see myself ever not having a problem though. It's so very powerful isn't it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: