Talk

Advanced search

Restrictive Eating & Hairloss

(8 Posts)
Bimbop5 Tue 20-Feb-18 03:00:44

Hello all,
I really don't know where to turn. I have been restricting my calories since 2012 and have lost 43 lbs. I now weight 117 lbs (8 stone 5lbs) and I'm 5'6. I'm also in my 40's. I've noticed my hair is thinner than normal. So I've decided to gain at least 5 to 7 lbs. I am also anemic but have been taking iron pills. So my iron is slowly going up. I also take a multi vitamin, Vit D, complex B, and horsetail silica. Oh, and magnesium at night.

It is SO hard to eat more calories but I'm really trying to force myself because my hair is thin and I often feel dizzy.

Is there anyone out there who found that once they started eating better their hair went back to normal?

trickyex Tue 20-Feb-18 15:04:51

Hello
I also restrict - my weight is around a stone less than you, similar height and 40s too - and struggle with hair loss and dizziness too, also very low ferritin levels.
I am sure you can reverse it though, many side effects are curable.
I am more worried about osteoporosis.... HAving a Dexa scan soon.
Have you tried having nut butters? This can be an easier way to increase your calories rather than trying to cram in extra food, IMO anyway, and they are full of nutrients. Almond butter is especially good.

Bimbop5 Tue 20-Feb-18 15:16:20

@trickyex oh that is a good idea about the nut butter. Thank you. I will go get some almond or cashew or sunflower seed butter. I'm supposed to stay away from peanuts.
Are you also trying to eat more calories?

trickyex Tue 20-Feb-18 23:05:36

Yes am trying.
Have only had an eating disorder for the past 18 months but it is proving quite hard to get my eating back on track.
I do find snacking easier than big meals, crackers and nut butter and cereal bars are all easier for me than eg a full plate of pasta/rice.
Are you getting any help Bimbop?
Feel free to pm me if you would like...

Bimbop5 Wed 21-Feb-18 01:28:35

I'm going to go see a counselor in Friday to talk about it. Yes I find snacking and grazing so much easier. I can't sit and eat a big meal or I'll feel sick. I think I've shrunk my stomach! 😊 🙄

Melonsandberriew Thu 16-Aug-18 21:26:46

Late thirties and also very underweight and suffering from hair loss.

I’m more concerned with how I’ve been feeling... can anyone on this thread relate to feeling very off, flat, dizzy and kind of faint feeling for most of the day?

I eat 3x a day. But very restricted

I am trying to eat more for breakfast in hope it will make me feel better but it’s not working...

Porridge pot (70g) with water for breakfast
Fruit salad
Sometimes a few slices of chicken

Lunch
Huge undressed salad with 1 skinless chicken breast or tuna steak
2 apples
Big Fruit salad of mixed berries

Dinner
Huge mound of steamed veg (as in huge! Three slices leeks, 1 large courgette, 3 carrots, a few pieces of broccoli and a pile of asparagus)
Fat free Greek yoghurt
2 apples, a nectarine, a bowl of blueberries and raspberries

I don’t think I should feel as rough as I do on this diet, but I do. Do you think it’s the restricted diet or something more sinister?

TIA

Daffodils78 Thu 04-Oct-18 17:41:04

Mellonsandberriew sounds like you're low in fat, and possibly salt (can cause dizziness).

Could you try keeping the chicken skin on? Switching no fat yoghurt for low or full fat Greek yoghurt?
Add a tsp of nut butter here and there?

You need healthy oils to grow a good mane of hair. If you can't stomach eating it, you can get omega 3 supplements (cod liver oil comes combined with it a lot now too)

If you're a grazer but not a big eater, a few nuts or salted nuts, or some beef jerky or olives should boost you.

Honestly though I should practice what I preach!

Daffodils78 Thu 04-Oct-18 17:42:07

Ps. Caffeine shampoo! And massage head with coconut or avocado oil to stimulate growth!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: