Talk

Advanced search

Compulsive eating/oral fixation - help! I can't stop eating.

(11 Posts)
pjsgalore Fri 27-Oct-17 20:51:38

I'm not sure whether what I have counts as an eating disorder - but I definitely have a problem with compulsive eating. I think I have a kind of oral fixation.

Basically I HAVE to have something with me to eat or drink at all times - tea, water, coke zero, anything - and obviously also food. I eat not because of boredom or unhappiness - just seem to have to have something in my mouth or a taste in my mouth. Sorry - that sounds so weird!! I have about 6 coke zeros a day, maybe 10 cups of tea and two cups of coffee. And biscuits, grapes, ham - just constant snacks.

I used to be a really addicted smoker - but with huge difficulty managed to beat that about three years ago. And that used to satisfy that urge. But I still always had to have a cup of tea or a coke or something when I wasn't smoking. ANd I can never get into a car or start any kind of journey without either a can of diet drink or a cup of coffee.

Now I don't smoke, I've been substituting cigarettes for food. I'm not overweight - but on the top end of normal - ie edging towards overweight. But I just feel horrible when I eat too much - lethargic and just cross with myself. I have absolutely no self-control at the moment - if I have one jaffa cake it's the whole box. I also think I'm addicted to sugar.

I've done a bit of looking into it - and it seems to often be associated with feeling sad or lonely or bored - but I'm never bored, and am very happy. Wonderful job, fun, kind, husband, lovely house, children, lots of fun friends. I love my life! But I AM feeling upset about the eating thing. I just cannot seem to stop!!

Does this sound like anyone? Or does anyone have any advice?? Would be very grateful.

pjsgalore Fri 27-Oct-17 20:54:51

*substituting food for cigarettes rather!

squirrelonapetridish Fri 27-Oct-17 21:01:34

Maybe just try and make sure you always have healthy snacks or water with you. Have you tried chewing gum instead? If it's just a case of needing the taste of something that could work? I've never been a smoker but I would imagine it would take a long time to get out of the habit of needing something to do with your hands and mouth!

pjsgalore Fri 27-Oct-17 21:05:20

That's a really good point squirrel - I've never been a gum chewer but not sure why. I should definitely try that thank you! I'll go buy some tomorrow!

Artura Fri 27-Oct-17 21:07:20

Have a look at this website:-
https://www.oagb.org.uk
They were at a medical conference I went to recently and had some really useful advice.

DaisyRaine90 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:09:56

Chewing gum and Pepsi max are the only reason I’m not the size Of a house 😂

squirrelonapetridish Fri 27-Oct-17 21:14:14

Not that healthy but boiled sweets are good as they last a while too. I always keep some in the car like an old person..

pjsgalore Fri 27-Oct-17 21:15:42

OMG Artura - I answered yes to almost every question on the survey on that website about whether I have an overeating problem... very useful thank you. I actually think I should seriously consider going to their meetings. *I hear you Daisy!

starzig Fri 27-Oct-17 21:16:55

I am like that but only in the house. I am too busy at work. Guess the trick is to keep busy but I really can't be bothered after work.

pjsgalore Fri 27-Oct-17 21:25:33

starzig that's so true - I never had this problem at the office - but now I work from home all week - it's just constant! I think it's also work avoidance and procrastination a bit too.... glad I'm not alone thank you.

Wishingandwaiting Wed 08-Nov-17 13:09:45

OP are you bored?

I ask this because I simply don’t have the time to do what you’re doing. Life is busy and full. I think you need to look at the buffer picture and begin carving out a routine that means you don’t have the opportunity to do this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: