Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this a problem?

(3 Posts)
ChristmassyMe Wed 03-Dec-14 20:33:48

I suffer with depression and anxiety. I started back on sertraline 2 weeks ago for it. Since about then I've lost my appetite completely. I'm technically underweight for BMI (but small built so not massively stick thin or anything). I'm finding it harder and harder to eat. Not sure if this is a side-effect of the sertraline (it is listed as a possible side-effect), or if it's a symptom of the depression/anxiety. I just tend not to eat at all, all day, until I make myself have some junk in the evening just because I feel I have to get some calories in. I tried to eat at lunch today and just couldn't. I even went to starbucks thinking maybe I should drink some calories if I can't face food, but I looked in and I just couldn't - I can't explain it. I bought sweets and crisps and dip on the way home and ate some this evening just to try to make up some calories. I don't want to lose any more weight, I don't think I'm fat, I'm happy with my weight/size now, but I don't want to eat. Is this an actual problem, or am I overthinking because of the anxiety? Sorry, any responses gratefully received.

MrsBertMacklin Wed 03-Dec-14 23:27:00

If you've not had any eating issues before and the thought of eating isn't making you anxious, I suspect it's a side-effect.

When you say you're finding it 'harder and harder to eat' so you mean physically, or that you're finding it hard to want to eat / get up an appetite?

Can you telephone your GP and get a telephone consultation?

ChristmassyMe Sat 06-Dec-14 19:14:29

Thank you MrsBM, yes, although I felt 'I can't' I didn't mean physically.

I spoke to someone who was on the same medication with the same effect. I've switched to taking it at night now, instead of in the morning, and actually that has made a big difference. I'm eating again now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now