Donor sperm does blood type matter

(6 Posts)
Mellomum Fri 03-Jul-20 17:42:07

Hello

I am a single 36 year old and I'm choosing a donor sperm. So overwhelmed.

I have blood type A negative, and I'm now worried about picking someone A positive as apparently there can be issues if our blood cross? It can be am issue in 2nd pregnancies too.

I am also not sure yet if I'm CMV positive or negative. I'm told it wont matter but I'm concerned, as mixed stories. I dont get tested for over a week but will buy sperm next week.

When I think about it, surely all of the random real life pregnancies have these issues, but I really want to make sure I dont put my babys health at risk or risk not getting embryos.

It's hard as my baby wont have a dad, so I want to choose a great donor open to contact in the future, but its tricky if I need to consider blood type. There arent so many!

Thanks for the help smile

OP’s posts: |
LittleMissNaice Fri 03-Jul-20 17:48:06

The NHS offers the anti-d injection to all rhesus negative pregnant women who need it. www.nhs.uk/conditions/rhesus-disease/prevention/

EarlGreyT Sat 04-Jul-20 13:37:49

No it doesn’t matter. All pregnant women with a rhesus negative blood group are offered an anti d injection to overcome any possible issues with rhesus incompatibility.

Good luck with choosing a donor.

Mellomum Sat 04-Jul-20 15:19:15

Thank you very much smile

OP’s posts: |
wishing3 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:25:23

I’ll be having the Anti-d injection and it seems like it takes away any risks. Only thing I was told was that if I had a bump to stomach before injection I’d have to go to the hospital to have the injection then(I guess in case I was bleeding internally?). But I wouldn’t factor that in personally-I don’t think it’s a concern. Exciting times for you-happy donor hunting!

JustOneMoreStep Sat 04-Jul-20 23:20:29

I am A- and was advised to get a donor who was a match. It doesn't really matter because people able to conceive the traditional route manage without, but my clinic said it could make things more straightforward in the future especially if the child needed a donor organ or anything from me. Similar with the CMV I am negative for it and the clinic recommended I used a negative donor as a result. The risk to baby is miniscule, and would have already been there had i had the virus, but for me, as I didn't, it just wasn't worth taking even the miniscule risk.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in