Talk

Advanced search

Intrauterine insemination (IUI)

(16 Posts)
scubagirle1983 Wed 26-Dec-18 19:15:50

Good evening all,

I am about to start my journey of going through IUI in order to conceive as a single woman. I am wondering if there are any other ladies here who have went through this treatment and who are happy to speak about their journey.

Hope to hear from someone soon

S
xxx

Camsie30 Mon 31-Dec-18 06:30:40

Hi @scubagirle1983 I conceived my daughter via iui with donor sperm, she's nearly four, and had 2 further rounds which unfortunately didn't work so went to IVF and am expecting my second in Feb. Happy to answer any questions x

dosmummas Tue 01-Jan-19 17:45:43

@scubagirle1983 hiya scuba, I will sit on this thread too, my partner and I are looking at clinic IUI with a sperm donor maybe we can help each other find some answers

scubagirle1983 Tue 01-Jan-19 21:00:24

@Camsie30
Thanks so much for the reply. I will be going through a private clinic because this is a choice as opposed to a medical issue, is this the route you went and if so, how long was it between your initial appointment and the procedure?
@dosmummas feel free to jump in with questions if @Camsie30 is happy to answer, I'm sure we will both have some different questions.

Camsie30 Tue 01-Jan-19 22:14:53

Yes I went privately, the NHS don't treat single women. I think you can take appointments at your own pace. I started with a consultation and then had tests to see how my fertility looked. I had a couple of sessions of implication counseling, which personally I didn't find that useful. I spent a good free months thinking it all over and discussing with my family and began the process when I felt ready.

LanieM87 Wed 02-Jan-19 16:01:42

Hi @scubagirle1983 I don’t really have anything useful to add to this thread. But I am also a single woman who is looking at starting iui.
I went to a local clinic open day before Christmas, it was really useful and you get to see the facilities, look at the treatment rooms, the process is explained and I also got to speak to the doctor, so I’d suggest, if you haven’t already, speaking with your local clinics. There was no wait time at my clinic, but I only came off the pill in November and am yet to see AF, so I’ll be waiting a few months before being able to go ahead!

scubagirle1983 Thu 03-Jan-19 22:21:52

@Camsie30
Is the counselling something they recommend or can you choose not to do it?
Did you research various clinics or go to one close to home?
@LanieM87
I've been of the pill now for about 18 months so I've been planning for some time for this.
I can never get into any of the open days, they seem to fill up super fast and I'm always too late. Going to just drop into the clinic and see if I can push to get on at least a list for it. 🙈🙈

Persipan Thu 03-Jan-19 22:26:54

If you're using donor gametes you do generally have to have at least one session of counselling. I had one when I got started with donor sperm, and then another session when I added donor eggs into the mix. I wasn't super feeling the need for counselling so in my case it was just a chat, but I've always been offered the opportunity to go back for more if I feel I need it.

Camsie30 Thu 03-Jan-19 23:54:21

@scubagirle1983 I think the counseling is compulsory for anyone going through donor conception. I spoke to my GP who recommended a consultant, he was incredible. If you're in London in happy to give you his details. Wonderful man and amazing doctor

scubagirle1983 Fri 04-Jan-19 08:08:05

Thank you @Camsie30 and @Persipan
I'm in Northern Ireland so my clinic choices are limited but my friend and her wife used a clinic in Belfast successfully last year and had a good experience. So I'm edging towards using there.

Jas2004 Fri 04-Jan-19 19:14:23

I’ve had two dd’s 7 and 14 year old by IUI using donor sperm, through NHS. It was a very positive experience. Both DD’s conceived by same donor. DH and I went for 1 mantatory counselling session. We were very lucky as I conceived both times with the first attempt.
I’m happy to answer any questions.

OneMoreWish Sun 06-Jan-19 21:52:40

Hello I'm a single parent when has used donor sperm and non medicated iui to have have my first child. I have now used the same donor but at a different clinic and I am pregnant with my second child.

With dc1 I had iui twice, first month I had a chemical pregnancy days after missed period. Did iui next month and bfp

With dc2 got positive for surge with fmu on a Sunday, when I phoned Monday got a very late app that day despite begging for earlier. Bfn that month and I spoke again to doctor as not happy with timing ( I suspected they prioritised egg collection as more money) . Next month bfp chemical. Third month bfp 12 weeks pregnant now.

Re counselling: lwc counselling at clinic was optional. I confirmed I had had it privately earlier that year and they were fine with that. Hewitt Fertility clinic wanted proof re counselling and by that time I couldn't remember name of counsellor so I had one session at the clinic to tick the box. Sessions are useful.

Timing - dc1. Went to open day early October. Could have started iui in December but slight delay in smear results so started January.
Dc2 open day may. Consultation August started iui September

Happy to answer any questions and good luck xxxx

Sallly1 Sun 06-Jan-19 22:09:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

scubagirle1983 Fri 22-Feb-19 19:07:10

Thanks ladies for all your info and advice. There's been a bit going on so I had to take a step back from my plans until I was in a position to move forward.
I now have my initial blood test booked for 5th March and then my initial consultation in 26th March. A bit nervous now that it's all starting to happen, but super excited as well. Any more advice or tips you have please feel free to throw them at me. I'm not up on all the abbreviations so apologies if I ask what something means🙈🙈😂😂

NKB88 Sun 24-Feb-19 18:40:32

@scubagirlie1983 guaranteed it is all exciting. My and my dp had our first IUI treatment yesterday.

We attended our first open day in October. Then a second in November and had our first appointment late November. Consultant suggested some tests and scans and said we could probably go for first treatment in Jan We took our time and had some bloods done via NHS and other ones done at LWC because some of the NHS ones came back not quite normal. We booked in for the scans and chose our donor from ESB and just made sure everything was all set. We then had our follow up consultation and got the go ahead and here we are.

Currently day one into the 2 week wait and we're finding it a very anxious and exciting time. There are so many what if's but overall its been such a smooth positive experience and were very excited to see what the future will bring.

Any Q's and I'll try to help out where I can.

scubagirle1983 Sun 10-Mar-19 07:52:25

So I've had my bloods done and am awaiting my first appointment with the consultant. Any questions I should ask? I've all the usual ones but I know I'll come out and think of something else 🙈🙈🙈

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »