Questions/ things to discuss

(5 Posts)
Zebedee88 Tue 30-Oct-18 20:41:00

Basically I'm looking at sperm donation. Either through a clinic or potentially a friend. It's still early days and I'm not set on which way I'm going to go, however, from people who have gone through either co-parenting or through known sperm donor, what kind of questions did you ask? What did you discuss? Thanks x

OP’s posts: |
Pissedoffdotcom Tue 30-Oct-18 20:43:18

Make sure you have an agreement about contact - i have known a few couples & donors who have changed the goalposts when the baby is born.

Zebedee88 Tue 30-Oct-18 20:49:50

Thank you, I'm thinking he won't want split custody as the person I'm talking to has got a family already.

OP’s posts: |
Lauren83 Wed 31-Oct-18 06:21:36

Do consider that a lot of agreements with known donors go wrong further down the line, as what they want now make likely change in a few years, also consider the impact if yours or his relationship status changed in the future. I know there's some benefits from co parenting but if you are doing it through a clinic setting you may have to consider he may not be suitable once he is screened and it usually costs up to 2k to have a donor screened through a fertility clinic before they can be your known donor

Lauren83 Wed 31-Oct-18 06:22:35

Sorry I should have said I haven't a baby through sperm donation myself but I do work in that line of work and also have a baby from donor eggs

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in