Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HSG test.... getting anxious

(36 Posts)
2mummie5 Fri 29-Sep-17 20:55:43

Hi,
I'm booked in for an HSG in a couple of weeks time and I'm already starting to worry.

I find smear tests very uncomfortable , it's the speculum that I find painful. I know they will have to insert a speculum , but does it stay in place for the whole proceedure?
I know it's a test I've got to have but I'm dreading it. ....

c307 Sat 30-Sep-17 16:11:37

Hi,

I had mine done a month or so ago, it's really not as bad as you hear. The speculum was the worst bit, I found it uncomfortable but once it's in they insert the tube through it and then take the speculum out so literally 30 seconds tops til it's out.

I took paracetamol and ibuprofen before to take the edge off but honestly not that bad, I was worried for nothing.

2mummie5 Sat 30-Sep-17 18:16:40

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have put my mind at ease a little. Xx

c307 Sat 30-Sep-17 18:50:24

I really wouldn't worry too much, I did and I laughed after haha.

Is this for the fertility investigations? What treatment are you hoping to have?

2mummie5 Sat 30-Sep-17 19:15:46

Yes it's for fertility treatment. I'm in a same sex marriage so we are having IUI. We already have one, but my wife carried first time round and didn't have to have this done.
Did you have yours for treatment too? Hope it's going ok for you so far if so xx

c307 Sat 30-Sep-17 19:36:13

Oh wow, how lovely.

I'm also married to a woman and we are trying for our first baby, I have done all the pretreatment investigations and we are starting this next cycle grin

Did you guys do IUI the first time? I don't really know what to expect haha.

TinyPaws Sat 30-Sep-17 22:04:59

I had this done recently, it's not too bad and I was surprised at how quick it was. I thought it would take much longer but the whole thing can't have taken more than a minute or so. It wasn't any worse than a smear.

2mummie5 Sun 01-Oct-17 07:44:49

Exciting times ahead for you then!
Yes we did IUI with our first, my wife has PCOS so we weren't sure how successful it would be.... we got pregnant on the first attempt! We have kept the other units of Donor Sperm in storage and are hoping I get pregnant too. We have 5 chances.
The month she was treated was full of appointments, almost daily appointments untill a folicle had matured enough. It was day 18 for her which I understand is quite late.
On that day we were sent home with the drugs she needed to inject ( a small dose into her stomach or thigh.. she chose stomach) then about 36 hours later ( i think... it was 5 years ago so may not have quite remembered correctly) we went back for the IUI proceedure.

The IUI took about 5 minutes in total. 12 days later we took a test...the rest is history as they say!

I asume you have already selected your donor and bought the units? We found that choosing one was one of the hardest bits! how about you?

Xx

2mummie5 Sun 01-Oct-17 07:47:06

Thank you. I'm sure I'm allowing myself to be more worried than I ought to be. I will be glad when its done though! Xx

c307 Sun 01-Oct-17 14:59:40

First time is amazing! I've heard the chances with IUI are really low? I guess it's all down to timing confused which is nerve racking as no one ever really knows when. I don't think I am using any meds just track ovulation then go in for the insemination. Hopefully won't take too long, we are so ready now!

Yeah choosing sperm was daunting! We chose one from abroad, then the clinic told us we need a CMV check, I turned out to be negative so we had to swap donor, was crazy. All sorted now though smile

2mummie5 Sun 01-Oct-17 15:28:46

We didn't use any other meds, just that one injection. I can't remember what It was called but i know it was to encourage the egg to be released.
We used the European sperm bank.
I hope your treatment goes well and fingers crossed it will be first time lucky for you! x

2mummie5 Sun 01-Oct-17 15:30:27

Also not sure what stats are... but for us to get pregnant first time, even with the PSOS I think is pretty positive smile x

c307 Sun 01-Oct-17 18:34:19

Yeah you're right! I need to be positive and believe it will I think smile you must have been chuffed when you got it first time!

When are you looking to inseminate? Do you know roughly after the tests are done?

Do you have any tips for me? For success, if you can remember.

2mummie5 Mon 02-Oct-17 09:36:37

Postive thinking goes a long way for sure! We are hoping to be inseminating by Easter time. I'm trying to get my BMI down a bit first to improve chances.
Can't think of any tips as such, after my wife was inseminated the nurse ordered us to go to something that makes her happy ! So as she had been eating clean for a couple of years she wanted a burger and some chocolate! Lol. Maybe that was the trick ! x

c307 Mon 02-Oct-17 11:32:42

Haha that's great! I'm guessing I should take the day off work then? To chill out after it?
Just really hope we are lucky and it works, we started the process 6 months ago now. Asif you guys already have a child grin

2mummie5 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:11:30

Yes I'd take the day off if you can. It's a long process isn't it... it was 12 months from our first appointment till the insemination. But part of that was due to my wife needing some other medical treatment for the PCOS. I'm now classes as a new patient so we have to go through it ALL again... including the session with a counsellor! Did you guys have to do that too? I found the whole thing pretty pointless to be honest. x

Frazzled2207 Mon 02-Oct-17 12:20:16

I had one and it really was ok and very quick. Best thing is the radiologist showed my the results there and then (in my case, no issues detected).

Without wanting to trivialise it, once you’ve actually pushed out a baby you’ll think back and think nothing of it.
Hope you get pregnant soon flowers

c307 Mon 02-Oct-17 18:51:13

Yeah we had to have the counselling session too, really weird. Are you getting all the fertility tests on the NHS or paying yourself? It's all soooo expensive. Obviously worth it if the outcome is positive smile

2mummie5 Mon 02-Oct-17 19:05:48

Thank you x

2mummie5 Mon 02-Oct-17 19:11:32

Yes we are paying for it all privately. .. very expensive. Obviously we don't have the cost for the donor sperm this time but still expensive without that..plus we have been paying annual storage fees for the last 5 years too! I don't know if fees are the same in different places but it costing us about £1400 for all the pre testing, appointments and one attempt. Then about 700 for each attempt thereafter. Worth every penny though! Can't imagine life without our son in it smile

c307 Wed 04-Oct-17 09:48:14

Yeah those fees sound the same as ours, very costly but defo worth it! When is your tube test? You'll have to let me know what you think!

2mummie5 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:25:21

Im going next Wednesday. I'll let you know. I'll be glad once it's fine but I am feeling a bit more relaxed about it so thank you smile

It would be lovely to hear how you get on with your first cycle too. Wishing you both lots of luck!! xx

CycleHire Wed 04-Oct-17 21:32:12

Hey. I had an HSG a few years ago as part of fertility investigations. I’ll be honest it was awkward and uncomfortable but not unbearable or anything. Taking a painkiller is probably ok. Definitely worth it as a step closer to having a baby.

I’m married to a man but we have a son conceived using an egg donor due to my poor egg quality. I’ll always be grateful to our donor.

Good luck with everything!

c307 Fri 06-Oct-17 11:10:52

Thank you! Starting to feel nervous now, really wana just relax as I know that would help a lot. Due to ovulate over the weekend or early next week. Need to chillllll haha!

2mummie5 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:01:21

Hi sorry for the delayed reply! We moved house yesterday so it's been a busy few days.
Getting close to your attempt now then! I really hope you are sucessful smile
Those 12 days of waiting before you take a test are so hard! I'm pretty impatient though! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now