Advanced search

How to leave with no money?

(4 Posts)
namechange87 Tue 07-Aug-12 16:31:40

I need to leave Dp. I'm sick of emotional and financial abuse. He doesn't help at all and goes out constantly (sometimes with other women). He's selfish and nasty. I need advice on the best way to leave as I have no money and a ds of 1. I can't make him leave as its his house.

Nigglenaggle Tue 07-Aug-12 20:29:08

I guess first stop is citizens advice? If you are married then it is not just his house regardless, if not then not sure... Do you have relatives to stay with?

junipergin Wed 08-Aug-12 22:09:11

Go to your local council see about getting put on the housing list, you may have to be put up in b and b accomodation for a bit but if you are homeless with a dc you will be a priority, then you can get housing benefit/income support for you and your dc. or, if you can, stay with relatives, try and raise/borrow money for a deposit on private rented accomodation and then apply for housing benefit etc with council.

lavendervision Thu 09-Aug-12 22:27:35

just done it. Evenif you arenot in a situation of physical domestic violence you can stay in a refuge, emotional abuse does count! Just call the domestic violence helpline and the children can come and stay with you. Then you can apply for a council house or get a (usually better house) through the salvation army. You can apply for an emergency grant at the jobcentre to have a bit of money when you leave. My friends helped me by giving me all the furniture in my house, I texted everybody and you would be surprised how generous people can be, given the chance. It is a very brave thing to do and don't wait until it gets out of hands!. Unfortunately I did not know any of this and I waited untile things got sour and he hit me, which means I ended up in a refuge. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now